• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bordatella in rabbits - does anyone have experience with this? My rabbit has it!

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
Just got the nose swab results from the vet today and Beatrix has Bordatella. :( The vet hasn't heard of this in rabbits before. Anyone have any experience advice for me? It tested best against Ronaxan group of antibiotics so we are continuing with that to treat it.

all snuffles is usually either pasturella, bordatella or a mix of other different bacteria's. i think they are all treated in the same way. it's just a case of finding out what it will respond to. bisc and matt have the mix of bacteria's, although matt had/has an extra one that got in there somehow, one commonly found in soil.

ronaxan is a good one to be trying. matt had some success with that one. :wave:

Thanks Biscandmatt and Jane :wave: Yes Darcy does have a low immune system (Beatrix's bonded husbun) as he is disabled and on longterm meds (epiphen and metacam) and kept getting snuffles and giving it to Beatrix. We had success with a longer course of Ronaxan last time but I asked for a nose swab this time when Beatrix got it again.

She has been on Ronaxan for 8 days now but I'm picking up another two week course for her and Darcy as he is sounding a bit snotty at times.

Do you think it would be worth getting Darcy nose-swabbed? The vet said there was no need as its probably the same thing.

Thanks Biscandmatt and Jane :wave: Yes Darcy does have a low immune system (Beatrix's bonded husbun) as he is disabled and on longterm meds (epiphen and metacam) and kept getting snuffles and giving it to Beatrix. We had success with a longer course of Ronaxan last time but I asked for a nose swab this time when Beatrix got it again.

She has been on Ronaxan for 8 days now but I'm picking up another two week course for her and Darcy as he is sounding a bit snotty at times.

Do you think it would be worth getting Darcy nose-swabbed? The vet said there was no need as its probably the same thing.

A swab would probably give unreliable results as he is already on an antibiotic. So personally I would not opt for having one taken.

i'd go with the vets advice. same happened with us and he only swabbed matt as he was worse. :wave:

Thanks Jane & Biscandmatt. Yes I don't want to put him through anything unnecessary that could just stress him out. I'm relieved that we at least know what the heck it is now and can keep treating it. Just bizarre that they caught it. They don't have any contact with guinea pigs etc except possibly when they have had to stay at the vets. I do remember dogs being there at the same time with terrible coughs. Poor babies. Thanks for your help xx :wave:

Thanks Jane & Biscandmatt. Yes I don't want to put him through anything unnecessary that could just stress him out. I'm relieved that we at least know what the heck it is now and can keep treating it. Just bizarre that they caught it. They don't have any contact with guinea pigs etc except possibly when they have had to stay at the vets. I do remember dogs being there at the same time with terrible coughs. Poor babies. Thanks for your help xx :wave:

80% of Rabbit's carry Bordatella, this is the reason that keeping rabbit's and piggy's together is unsuitable.
When guinea's contract the bordatella they can get pneumonia.

As Jane said Bordatella does not usually cause issue in bunnies, I'm a bit concerned if your vet didn't know that most rabbit's actually carry it.
Here's a few interesting wee links for you to read through.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

http://www.raising-rabbits.com/bordetella-in-rabbits.html

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/rabbits/company/rabbitsandguineapigs

Hopefully your bun will make a full recovery now you can start the proper treatment.

Back