• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I just kicked a fox

tunnelwell

Young Bun
Was playing with my rabbit in the garden and I saw a fox resting on the grass in my neighbour's garden. Quickly ushered my rabbit indoors and the next thing I saw was the fox going through the bushes, into my garden and heading towards me at speed walking pace. I yelled at it and the fox tried to chew my trousers, or perhaps chew my leg or something. It smelt the rabbit scent on my clothes. I wore kevlar jeans so not much damage was done. Got mad at it and kicked the fox. The fox ran back into the bushes. This fox is the size of an adult doberman dog. It's huge. I quickly ran back in in case the fox decided to come back and attack me. Took a peek in the garden 10 minutes later and no signs of the fox. My neighbour who I saw the fox laying in has a year old baby. Imagine them playing with the baby and the fox got hungry.

Last edited:
That's terrifying :shock: I hope you're ok and the bunnies aren't too shocked. we get small foxes round here, and they are scared by the tiniest movement, but I'm alway wary when I'm out with the pets.
Sadly, I don't think there's anything you can do about it other than see if there are any fox repellants that are ok for rabbits? I hope you work something out.

How scary :shock:

I am so glad that your rabbit is OK.

I hope all is well with you and your rabbit now, hopefully it won't be back again.

I would try and find some solutions to deter foxes now you know they're lurking, mens urine is apparently good to deter foxes and to stop then coming into your garden as they assume it's another Fox's territory - definitely worth a try.

just told daughter today not to let her toddler out alone in my dad's garden, which has a resident fox.

How scary. Hope you and your bunny are ok now.

I had heard about mens urine but did not know if I was being wound up.

OH thinks we had a fox in the garden a few weeks ago as when he went to cover the buns he heard something "big" scrabbling over the fence and the next morning there were 2 piles of really sloppy pop down the side of the house.OH said buns didn't seem scared and were in their usual "bun corner' where they chill.

Fortunately the buns hutch and run went on holiday to my parents the next day for a week as we were going away so if it did come back it would have thought it was going mad.

Can't get son and OH to mark the boundaries though.

Although I'm sure your neighbour wouldn't leave a baby alone anyway, it is very very unlikely that a fox would harm a baby. I'm very shocked that it was so bold with you. I'd suspect that someone has been feeding it and making it tame/bold around humans.

I wouldn't let your rabbits out unsupervised unless in a secure run/hutch.

Are you sure it was a fox? Because foxes are nowhere near the size of dobermans.

I hope it is okay. After all, it was just doing what is natural and following instincts.

so scary. i always worry that i will try and get bisc and matt inside and they won't go in or something. this happened at my parents house - the fox came in the garden, matt ran inside the shed and hid, but bisc wouldn't go inside. he just wanted to stay and watch where it was. i had to pick him up and put him inside and he got mad at me!

too many stories involving foxes now, that's why i am putting an aviary against the house so at least there is an extra barrier when they play out.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the size of a Doberman. Red foxes weigh 2.2 to 14 kg. An adult Doberman weighs between 34 and 45 kg. Still pretty scary! Best to keep bunnies in a secure run and well supervised. The foxes are only doing what comes naturally and humans have encroached on their habitats for centuries.

AMETHYST

I'm glad you and your bunnies are ok but I have to say I am quite shocked that you felt that it was ok to kick an animal that was not doing anything wrong :shock:

Lets just hope none of your animals ever wander into anyone's garden and earn themselves a kicking :(

I'm glad you and your bunnies are ok but I have to say I am quite shocked that you felt that it was ok to kick an animal that was not doing anything wrong :shock:

Lets just hope none of your animals ever wander into anyone's garden and earn themselves a kicking :(

I think that is a bit harsh, the OP did not walk up to the fox and kick it, the fox walked up to her and started biting her legs! :shock: the animal was 'doing something wrong' the OP kicked the fox to stop it mauling her trousers, personally I think I would have kicked the fox too.

if anything came between me or my rabbits or at me, id react the same, you didn't go out to deliberately kick a fox, but to protect as you did, glad you and your bunny is ok

if anything came between me or my rabbits or at me, id react the same, you didn't go out to deliberately kick a fox, but to protect as you did, glad you and your bunny is ok

I completely agree with this :thumb:

If a Fox came close to my shed and rabbits I'd do everything to get it away to protect my animals. If the OP (original poster) didn't kick the Fox away then it could of been capable of causing serious harm and potentially putting the OP at risk. Who knows what it was thinking or planning.

I am so glad your rabbit is ok and that you weren't attacked too severely.

Although I'm sure your neighbour wouldn't leave a baby alone anyway, it is very very unlikely that a fox would harm a baby. I'm very shocked that it was so bold with you. I'd suspect that someone has been feeding it and making it tame/bold around humans.

I wouldn't let your rabbits out unsupervised unless in a secure run/hutch.

Are you sure it was a fox? Because foxes are nowhere near the size of dobermans.

I hope it is okay. After all, it was just doing what is natural and following instincts.

actually my OH saw a HUGE dogfox (male fox) the other night - and we DO know what a fox looks like so it was definitely one. He said it was the biggest he has ever seen and was the size of a big dog,

Just over a year ago, a massive male fox came into my garden at 3 in the afternoon, broke through a strongly meshed, foxproofed run and attempted to snatch my rabbit Buttercup. He wasn't scared of me or my family and we threw a watering can at him and he dropped Buttercup before jumping the fence. She died minutes later in my arms :cry:

If I thought my bunnies were at risk I would do the same again and would probably pick up something heavier than a flimsy plastic thing (and hopefully before the :censored: kills my pet). TBH if a fox came at me and was biting my leg, I think i'd lose the plot completely and have all out war with the fox. I REALLY wish people would stop feeding them around here, they are getting so brave and it scares me after witnessing Buttercup dying :cry:

I think foxes are beautiful but had I been in your position, I would have done the same.

I hope your buns are ok. :wave:

Back