• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anybody had experience or knowledge of 'Blue Fur' condition in rabbits?

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
One of my poorly new arrivals had to be rushed to the vets this morning after becoming ill during the previous day with what looked like infected skin to me. High reddening and some swelling.

Described his condition to the vet before I took him out of his carrier and as soon as she saw him she said he had a condition called 'blue fur'.

She said it was only the second time she'd seen it in 16 years.

I have read up on it and it's caused by the pseudomonas bacteria and is usually seen in folds of dewlaps or other areas that remain moist and therefore this bacteria growns. It's nasty and arrived so quickly and turned my poor rescue bunny's fur blue in places and caused his fur to fall out in just less that 24 hours of it becomming apparent.

Anybody had experience or know a bit more?

I have invested in a seriously good text book on rabbits skin conditions and that's due to arrive tomorrow but would love to hear from any of you that might have had this with their rabbits.

Thank you.

Last edited:
we have a bun whose skin is infected with a staff bacteria - we are really struggling with it - he arrived almost bald and very very smelly.

But thats the nearest I have got - and he has a lot of underlying issues.

we have a bun whose skin is infected with a staff bacteria - we are really struggling with it - he arrived almost bald and very very smelly.

But thats the nearest I have got - and he has a lot of underlying issues.

Thanks Twigs.

This wee boy (Gabriel) arrived in poor condition too at the age of 7 1/2. He's just deteriorated rapidly having had no apparent skin issues when he arrived only to develop this really quickly. He's very sore and this makes him very flat. I am worried about him I really am.

I just hope the regime I've been given by the vets works.

Thanks Twigs.

This wee boy (Gabriel) arrived in poor condition too at the age of 7 1/2. He's just deteriorated rapidly having had no apparent skin issues when he arrived only to develop this really quickly. He's very sore and this makes him very flat. I am worried about him I really am.

I just hope the regime I've been given by the vets works.

We are treating coltsfoot with baytril metacam for inflamation piriton for irritayion and special shampos.

Back