• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bit confused - Nibbles had front teeth burred...

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
When we got him home he was really wobbly and just kept collapsing in the litter tray:? It was like he'd had something at the vets. But they didn't say he'd had anything, it just says burring on my bill.

Can stress cause a bun to do that? He seems OK now he's had something to eat but I was really concerned, never had that before and he's been for burring loads of times.

That's odd - did they give him GA?

The last time I took my dental bun they wanted to give him GA but I said no. I've been told that he is really good so I don't see the need to risk it.

Maybe he had a "dentist"attack? Glad to hear he is ok now xx

That's odd - did they give him GA?

The last time I took my dental bun they wanted to give him GA but I said no. I've been told that he is really good so I don't see the need to risk it.

Maybe he had a "dentist"attack? Glad to hear he is ok now xx

Well there's nothing on my bill to suggest they did, they didn't ask and I wasn't charged for GA, he's never been like that before :? Very odd.

All rabbit should be given a GA when having their teeth burred. No "good" vet should be doing any kind of dental work whilst the rabbit is conscious. My friend used to get her rabbit's front teeth clipped whilst conscious and one day, whilst having it done, she screamed and dropped down dead of shock. Not jut that but there are lots of bloody vessels in the mouth and if the rabbit moved, there is a big chance of nicking these vessels.

I would never ever request a conscious dental unless there was no other option.

If your rabbit hasn't had anesthetic, then perhaps he was lightly sedated? If not, I would be very, very concerned that something had gone wrong. A rabbit shouldn't be falling over.

All rabbit should be given a GA when having their teeth burred. No "good" vet should be doing any kind of dental work whilst the rabbit is conscious. My friend used to get her rabbit's front teeth clipped whilst conscious and one day, whilst having it done, she screamed and dropped down dead of shock. Not jut that but there are lots of bloody vessels in the mouth and if the rabbit moved, there is a big chance of nicking these vessels.

I would never ever request a conscious dental unless there was no other option.

If your rabbit hasn't had anesthetic, then perhaps he was lightly sedated? If not, I would be very, very concerned that something had gone wrong. A rabbit shouldn't be falling over.

I don't think he's ever had a GA when having his front teeth burred :? If he has they haven't told me. Same with sedation... They did take longer than normal in there though so perhaps he was. But again they didn't say anything. He seems fine now but I was worried when we got home :?

e: going to check with the vets what the normal procedure is ... we don't see it as he goes into the other room, obviously!

Last edited:
I don't think he's ever had a GA when having his front teeth burred :? If he has they haven't told me. Same with sedation... They did take longer than normal in there though so perhaps he was. But again they didn't say anything. He seems fine now but I was worried when we got home :?

Obviously everybody is different but I have never heard good things about conscious dentals. It is very, very stressful for a rabbit and possibly this was why your rabbit was wobbly afterwards. My friend's rabbit had her conscious dental every 3 weeks for a while..until that once time where she dropped down dead. Certainly not something I would ever put my rabbit through.

I have never heard of a rabbit savvy vet willing to do consciousness dentals.

Obviously everybody is different but I have never heard good things about conscious dentals. It is very, very stressful for a rabbit and possibly this was why your rabbit was wobbly afterwards. My friend's rabbit had her conscious dental every 3 weeks for a while..until that once time where she dropped down dead. Certainly not something I would ever put my rabbit through.

thank you :wave: i am going to check with the vet what the normal procedure is and see what they say. he is normally fine and not phased by it at all so today was a bit :S we have not had this vet do the burring before though, i think she is fairly new.

Front teeth are usually done without anaesthetic. It's back teeth they knock them out for, and concious dental usually refers to having the back teeth done without :)

Asking the vet is best way to find out, he might have had something to back him a bit relaxed rather than a full GA.

My Gus has been having his front teeth burred with no sedation for 5 years, every 8 weeks, by a very savvy vet. Never had a problem

My Gus has been having his front teeth burred with no sedation for 5 years, every 8 weeks, by a very savvy vet. Never had a problem

Yes nibbles has had burring done approx every 8-10 weeks since last summer and we have never had a problem before. He is absolutely fine though - certainly hasnt lost his appetite :lol:

Front teeth are usually done without anaesthetic. It's back teeth they knock them out for, and concious dental usually refers to having the back teeth done without :)

Asking the vet is best way to find out, he might have had something to back him a bit relaxed rather than a full GA.

Thanks:wave: even though Nibbles is fine now I'd like to find out for future reference :D

We have been having rabbits incisors burred with no sedation for well over ten years.

If your bunny wasn't sedated, maybe it was a combination of stress and heat as it was very hot here yesterday?? I hope he is feeling much better today x

Tbh I have never heard of a rabbit savvy vet having to give a sedation to burr incisors!

We have been having rabbits incisors burred with no sedation for well over ten years.

If your bunny wasn't sedated, maybe it was a combination of stress and heat as it was very hot here yesterday?? I hope he is feeling much better today x

yes i did wonder if it was a bit warm for him. he is back to himself today so clearly no lasting damage :wave:

For work on the MOLAR teeth :)

I think I'm maybe thinking about CLIPPING the front teeth. o_O I was told that this should not be done, and definitely not be done consciously. I presumed it would be the same for burring!

I could never imagine either of my buns staying still long enough to have their teeth BURRED whilst AWAKE. :shock: :shock:

Front teeth should be burred not clipped and are usually done with the bunny awake (as you aren't sticking things in the back of their mouth), back teeth are done with the bunny asleep, apart from a few vets which do them awake (which is controversial). Burring the front teeth doesn't take it's like a mini electric file they whizz across them.

Back