• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bulging eyes-what's wrong? Please help.

bunniesgalore

Alpha Buck
Rupert is a Californian with red eyes. On Monday the 3rd eyelid looked larger but his eyes were otherwise normal and not protruding. Last night he was clearly in pain so I have him metacam which calmed him a lot.
Both vets looked at him today. Rupert has both eyes protruding considerably. When a magnifying glass was used with the eye tool a spot could be seen on the back of his left eye. I asked re: xrays etc and was told they'd show nothing. His heart is apparently fine, no murmers etc. He's breathing normally-fast though.
He's got a decreased appetite but is eating and toiletting. He hops fine, no head tilt, pupils are very large but usual shape.
I've been given panacur and got some for Milly too though it's not typical EC in my experience.
He's not up to travelling sadly though I've asked my vet to contact everyone who could help for advice. My main vet said he doesn't think it's his eyes at all that are the real issue.
I feel so helpless. Has anyone any thoughts, advice or know of a vet who could help please?

I would suggest a head and chest Xray. The symptoms you describe *might* indicate a Thymoma - a tumour of the Thymus gland in the chest. A Thymoma can compress large blood vessels returning from the head to the heart. This, in turn, causes increased pressure in the veins of the head and bulging eyes. An Xray is the only way to diagnose a Thymoma. Or a very skilled Vet may be able to do so from an Ultrasound.

Thank you for replying Jane.
When took Rupert on Monday I said I thought it was cherry eye caused by a Thymoma but was told categorically no. Today when the other vet came in-ex Animal medical centre referral vet st Manchester, my vet said ' Miss......thinks it's a and then said a load of medical phrases which essentially were the chest tumour query. The other vet said no.
Rupert's not mouth breathing though, nor showing any respitory distress and I would expect this surely?
I spoke to my vet again and he's clearly looked up the thymoma as he said he will do an xray. I said Rupert's had enough for one day. I'm giving him a high dose of metacam tonight and we'll see how he is tomorrow re: an xray. I just can't see how we can et through this and that I'm waiting for something really horrific to happen. Whatever happens I'm here with him, so is Milly. Rupert and Milly are devoted to each other and he's snuggling so tightly to her.
My vet did say he'd check what the correct rabbit eye pressure should be and how to measure it. I'm not sure I can do rabbits anymore without being reasonably near a proper rabbit vet.

Back