• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Precautions to take for an unvaccinated bunny

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Didn't know where to put this as it sort of crossed housing and health, so I thought here might be best?

Nena is now an unvaccinated, outdoor bunny. I've fly meshed their shed windows and all of the run. I've bought fly paper which I'll hang as soon as they're home from the vets. I've also got some citronella (somewhere :roll:) which I'm going to put on cotton wool and into little pouches, although I must admit I found them ineffective last year as they lost their smell quickly.

Everyone takes their shoes off at the front door anyway, but I've made sure to tell family members to definitely take shoes off at the front door and not walk into the back garden with shoes that they've been on country walks with.

I'll empty their litter trays every day in hot weather, every 2 in cooler weather.

What else can I do? The fly strips seem to work well (although, tbh, I've never caught a fly on them) in the shed, but I'm concerned I need a deterrent near the run. Fly strips won't work as they'll be dangling on the floor and N&T will get stuck to them!

I think I'll stock up on the fly spray http://www.petsathome.com/shop/john...tch+spray&msg=MSG_SEARCH_ONE_MATCHING_PRODUCT and the cage granules http://www.petsathome.com/shop/cage...age+fresh&msg=MSG_SEARCH_ONE_MATCHING_PRODUCT (both for their litter trays) just so I feel like I'm doing something extra.

Last edited:
You've thought of everything I would suggest tbh. You do also get citronella candles for outdoor use, they might be better than the oil if you find the smell dissipates quickly? It differs from brand to brand, the tealights aren't great but the bigger candles in pots have done well for me at campsites. Maybe you could also put the citronella oil in a burner? This is assuming you have space to put either of these though.

You've thought of everything I would suggest tbh. You do also get citronella candles for outdoor use, they might be better than the oil if you find the smell dissipates quickly? It differs from brand to brand, the tealights aren't great but the bigger candles in pots have done well for me at campsites. Maybe you could also put the citronella oil in a burner? This is assuming you have space to put either of these though.

Thanks for your suggestion! I do have space to put citronella candles as the run has a solid wooden lid, but I assume I need to burn them for them to be effective? I'm very tight for money right now :oops: £1400 into my overdraft :lol:! I'm spending money where I need to for Nena's health, but I don't know if I have enough money to have a constant supply of candles to burn. I suppose they would be a little bit effective even when not burning, as they do still smell... I might go sniff some in wilkos tomorrow and see how smelly they are :)oops:)

Could you not vaccinate her?

She was due for her annual vacc on the 22nd of this month, but she's very poorly with a massive abscess in her jaw. My vet isn't happy to vaccinate her currently. As soon as she's well enough to vaccinate, she will be.

You seem to have it covered.
If I think of anything I'll try mind and pop it in this thread :)
There is sonic transmitters you can get to repel insects but I don't know whether they would annoy the buns.

Hope she is well enough soon xxx

Back