• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think I am allergic to something within my rabbit routine

i_am_tre

Warren Scout
So I've always been a pretty itchy person, I have really bad eczema in some places on my skin and I am allergic to pretty much all metal except stainless steel and titanium. Never been allergic to any food or anything else. I noticed a month or so ago that my hands were stupidly itchy and if I scratched them too much I'd end up with eczema type skin. I thought nothing of it thinking it was my ezcema. Then I noticed it was only after I did the washing up and that we had changed the washing liquid so I stopped using it and it seemed to go away. For about a week, then I noticed I was getting itchy right after doing the buns at night so I thought it may have been the hay even though I don't have hay fever or any allergy to grass. Then it dissapeared again and has resurfaced this past week. I think it might be the pellets as all I've touched is veg (which I eat them all so can't be that), hay and pellets. Have excel changed their recipe recently?

It's odd because it's not a constant so I can't pin point it. It comes and goes. It could be ezcema that is brought on by a trigger like I get when I wear metal jewellery.

Either way, if it is the rabbits routine then I don't really care, ill just work round it. Tomorrow I'm going to get some scoops to see of that stops it.

Sorry, bit of a ramble there, does anyone have any tips or ideas?

Do you use anything else in litter trays other than hay? I found megazorb made me wheezy if Smudge dug in it, I know it's not the same but some of these bedding things might contain allergens.

Do you use anything else in litter trays other than hay? I found megazorb made me wheezy if Smudge dug in it, I know it's not the same but some of these bedding things might contain allergens.

I use wood based litter but I never touch it. :/

try the scoops thing for a few days and if that stops it then at least you know not to handle the food

Yep, hopefully i can pin point what it is, they're that itchy I'm rubbing them up and down the patterned wall to stop it!

I've had the same thing for months on a few of my fingers. I assume it's eczema caused by soap but I'm also allergic to hay and duck pellets so maybe at some point I touched them without gloves and then when they got bad they became sensitive to water and soap as well :? Dunno but it is awful, it's that intense itching to where you're trying to itch them on everything, but it's not all the time, only certain times during the day. I have to wear socks on my hands when I go to bed so I don't itch them when I'm half asleep. Worst part is they don't even look like my fingers since they're all swollen, dry and scaly.

I've tried several different soaps and constantly am putting lotion and coconut oil on but nothing seems to help. Guess I need to look for soaps etc that are made specifically for people with eczema.

Hope you find out what's causing yours! Itchy hands are awful!

are you taking antihystamines? I can't use woodshavings (used to use them for the hamster not buns) as they make me itch so badly :evil: I'd also get yourself some gardening gloves for when you handle the hay :wave:

Back