• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mowed Grass Question - Advice?

I've always used normal kitchen scissors & it shouldn't take too long - it does your back in bending over though. :lol::lol::lol:

All i know is that mown grass will heat up (gets really ouchy hot after a few hours in a mound) and that it is not safe for animals as a result. It does make awesome compost though. My grandparents used to heap their grass cuttings up on to the compost pile and I put my hand in to see how hot it got 'ouch'!!! I just pull up grass for my lot and use scissors for brambles and roses (which they LOVE).

i cut grass for my lot but never more then they will eat in 20 minutes as it does go 'off' when heaped up for very long. goes heated /slimey and can cause belly troubles then.-- i use sissors.

Thats really interesting never knew that thank you! :wave:

I have got some kitchen scissors ready ;)

I didnt know about the heat problem and was collecting a bucket full of cut grass at a time, I wont be doing that anymore, just get what they can eat!

Thanks guys :wave:

I cut with scissors too. The trick with feeding lots is to spread it around i.e. scatter it over the floor - if it's spread out it will dry (like hay) rather than heat up and go slimy. Another option is to deliberately dry it out, the top of a rabbit run is perfect for this - just spread a layer of grass over and leave it to dry. The mesh lets the air circulate so it will dry quickly (if you get a few rain free days).

Back