• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Having a rabbit PTS at the vets -> showing bonded partner the body -> scared of vets?

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Having a rabbit PTS at the vets -> showing bonded partner the body -> scared of vets?

Sorry, it's a very morbid thought. This is just me forward planning in case of the worst.

If you have a pair of bunnies and one has been ill for a while and you and the vet decide to PTS, what's the best procedure in regards to the other bunny?

In most cases the PTS would be done at a vets, I'm assuming. In that case, is it best to take the bonded partner along? I imagine it would be nice for the bunny due to be PTS to be with its partner, but I'm worried that for the surviving partner it might associate the carrier and the vets with the loss of its partner? Obviously the feelings of the bunny due to be PTS are more important at that moment, but I'm concerned about how to handle the whole situation so as to cause the least stress to the bonded partner.

Is it best to put the body in the carrier with the other rabbit and take them home? I'm worried that might be traumatic. Or take them home separately and show the partner the body at home? Or show the partner the body at the vets and not show them the body again? In all those examples, the bunny knows that their bunny partner is now no longer here because of the vets.

Does anyone have any advice/experience?

I guess it's down to the individual rabbits and their personalities, I didn't show Peter Poppy's body after she had died because she had aleady been at the vets two days and I thought it would do more harm than good, he had not shown any signs of missing her and never has, but anyway.....I have gone off track from what I was going to say.

What I was going to say is whatever your decision I doubt any rabbit has the intelligence to associate a vet trip with their friend dying.

Sorry I can't give any advice, but didn't want to read and run. I am so very sorry that you might be facing this decision.

I don't know what's best as such because I've only done it once.

But I took Sorrel to the vet's by herself, had her PTS then took her home and showed Apache her body - he didn't seem at all bothered that she'd gone tbh! But they're all different...

My Trixie had an abdominal mass ...... we knew that " the time" would ocme and it did.

On "the day" we took her and her bonded husband to the Vets.

They stayed there most of the day with Husbun being able to say his goodbyes after the vet had done his deed. I think a " quick show" wouldnt be enough for them to understand... so my vets were most helpful in allowing us to do this.

We buried her at my sons house, and took her there in the dual carrier. Whilst taking him back home in differnt car and carrier to his wifeless home.:cry:

He has since re-married and is most happy with his new woman...............

If we have a bonded pair and one is being pts we take them both to the vet's together and bring them both home in separate pet carriers. Although we have done it twice we don't show the dead body of the bunny to the bonded partner anymore as we believe that rabbit's know when their companion is ill and dying animals can usually smell death. We also had one rabbit who was extremely depressed after having shown him his companions body. I know lot's of people do and everyone is different.

You must do what you feel is right for your bunny.

My heart goes out to you as I know it's not easy and I'm so sorry you have to go through this :(

Sending hugs ((())))

Mischa wasn't PTS but did die at the vets under anaesthesia. Mini was there too as I always take bonded pairs together. She doesn't seem to associate it with anything bad other than the usual, she's the most chilled out of the three in general and also at the vets. Mini got to be with his body at the vets and also at home. I can't really remember what happened in the car home. I think Mini sat on my lap and Mischa's body was on the seat with the empty carrier in between.

I guess it's one of those depends on the bunny type things, Mini is always very laid back, always has been. She did noticeably pine after though, she hid away for about 24 hours and then started craving human contact more than usual.

Last edited:
It's not something I've ever had to consider, but thinking about it I'd definitely take both bunnies. The bunny being PTS would take comfort in its best friend being there, and the bonded partner would be able to come to terms with what has happened.

Not quite the same, but B died at the emergency vets and Willow was there with her. He had a quick sniff of her in the hospital cage, and actually flicked the towel she was wrapped in over her face as if he was done, so we brought him home and collected B the following Monday to take her for cremation.

I don't think he remembered it as we had to go back there when Goose had bloat and needed admitting just less than a year later and he wasn't unduly stressed by it (other than the usual dogs barking etc).

When I had Dylan PTS I took Molly with him. After Dylan died I told the vet I thought Molly needed to say 'goodbye'. She had a sniff of him but didn't seem too upset. I left Dylan to be privately cremated.

I don't think I could have a bun PTS then bring them home to show their companion and then take them back to the vet for cremation. I am not that strong:(

When Floppy was ill and PTS at vets, Willow went in carrier with him but after he passed, she remained alone and didnt see him again....Floppy was left at the vet hospital...:cry:

She was lost and given they had only been bonded a month, she adapted well. I dont know if it was the right decision but I didnt want to bring Floppy home to be buried in the garden , too many foxes and cats to consider....

you know when I had mowgli put to sleep, rosie went along, although she stayed with me while they put him to sleep as we left the room, but as soon as I put hm back in the carrier for her to see, I think she already knew it was time for him to leave for the bridge, she had already accepted it, I think it just hurt me more her reaction, was to just blank him and stand on his body in carrier and walk right over him like he wasn;t there, she had accepted he had gone before me, and that he had left his body

Oh no, I really hope that this is not going to be the case.

However in my experience I have always had their partners with them at the time they have to be pts. The remaining bunnies have sniffed, climbed over, snuggled up for a few seconds and then wanted to move away from the body.

I don't know if they understand but I like to think that they do.

Whatever happens, you, Nena and Tapla are in my thoughts.

I will say a prayer tonight for you all but especially for Nena. xxx

If you need me to come with you IF the time comes, just let me know. I'll be more than happy to drive you there.

Last edited:
I had Oscar and Daisy pts this evening. I took Snoopy along with them and showed him their bodies after. He went and laid between their bodies for a long time and snuggled with Daisy (they had been a pair for a long time, Oscar only bonded with them 2 months ago). He seems to be ok on his own at home now, he is munching and creating havock. I bought him inside to be with me this evening so he wasn't alone.

I always make sure they see their partners when they pass. Sometimes they just ignore them.

They were pts at the vets, and I left them there to be cremated, Snoopy has come home alone, but I took him with the others and he saw their bodies at the vets.

When Hermione passed away at the vets from a heart attack, she was alone. Me and Theo decided to take Oscar to the vets so he could at least have some closure. When he saw her body he wouldn't stop grooming her and he kept digging at her fur to wake her up :cry: Still breaks my heart to this day.

If and when you come to the decision of it (which I hope is not soon and sending vibes your bun feels better) I would 1000000% let other bun see the body, but keep in mind what is best for YOU too.

Oh I really hope it won't come to this. :cry:
I know here in the US it's always recommended to have the bunnies together during both treatment and possibly the PTS, then to leave the surviving bun with the body for as long as they need so they can adjust. But since yours are parted at the moment I would think perhaps bring the body home...but really you know your buns best and what would work for them.
No advice really as I haven't yet had to deal with this, but I am keeping you, Nena and Tapla in my prayers for the best outcome for all of you. (((((((((((((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))))))))) xxxx

Thank you everyone. It's hopefully not a decision that I'll have to take very soon, but I'm aware that I will need to at some point :( Nena has had quite a big operation on monday but she seems to be doing well so hopefully not for a while.

I'd definitely take them both to the vets, and then I think I'd let the partner see the body before I left. Depending on the costs of cremation through the vets vs privately, I'm not sure whether I'd take the body home again... so I'm not sure if there'd be another chance for the partner to see the body.

I feel more secure now knowing what I'd do.

I took Herbie to the vets with Inca....then I stayed with Inca when she went to the bridge and then I put her back in the carrier with Herbie and drove home with them both in the carrier. Herbie was sitting on top of Inca :(

I took Herbie in the house then took Inca to the crematorium. It was cheaper for me to take Inca direct to the crematorium than leave her at the vets for them to do it, and I felt better knowing she wasn't lying in some freezer overnight.

Herbie was depressed for about 2weeks after tho'

pearl went the the vets alone and I bought her home. when I put her in with Alvin still in the carrier he buzzed and nudged her for a few mins then within half hour had moved away so then I removed her.

If they had gone to the vets together I would of still bought her home to ensure he 100% had accepted her death.

yaretzi, If my memory serves me well, I think the cremation costs from the vet are around £65.00 - £75.00.

As you say, hopefully you will not need their services.

Take care. x

Back