• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what do you do with your rabbit waste?

san

New Kit
how do you dispose of your rabbits waste?

wondering what everyone else does with theirs i seem to have a few bag from the daily cleans
wonder if it's o'k to put the soiled rabbit hay, straw,wood shaving and wood pellets from the litter tray in with the garden waste wheelie bin?
my normal house hold waste bin is always full as i have a big family and i don't fancy going to the tip once a week.

i'm sure you can tell i'm new to having rabbits.:D

I put hay and poop in the garden waste bin, but that fills up within a week and is only collected every fortnight, so it has to go in the normal waste bin along with the newspaper I use in their litter trays which works out fine because that's collected once a week. I've been able to fit more in since we were given the recycling bags and boxes.

Not sure about wood pellets and shavings. The wood pellets I use for the cat goes in general waste though. Could you perhaps change the shavings to newspaper or something like megazorb as I think that can go into garden waste? Shavings can cause respiratory issues in rabbits because of the phenols ( ?) they release, not to mention being really messy!

Last edited:
Mine has to be bagged and go into normal household waste black bin.
Our green bin is only for cardboard, newspapers and plastic. We have nothing for garden waste. It does seem to vary from area to area.

either in bin bags in the general waste or loose in the garden waste. I use megazorb in the litter trays which is wood pulp so it's all fine to be in the garden bin :)

It goes in the bin, it can't go in the recycling or whatever. When the council make a new one for bunny poops then I'll recycle. :thumb:

I have been told it can not go in the garden waste and should be put with general waste only. Frequent trips to the tip are unavoidable I am afraid.

We dump ours behind the house in the woods, the only waste we have is hay and wood pellets from their litter pans.

think i might try my luck my area says you can dispose Grass Cuttings Garden Prunings
Branches and Twigs Leaves, Bark, Flowers, Bark wood and shavings and Plants in are green wheelie bin.

so really it's only straw that's not on there and hope there are not too picky about the type of shavings
i'll do some more gradening later and hid it under it lol

fingers cross they will take it.

it look like i'll have to do a tip run as well anyway for the back log.

there must be a place for it all ... what do people do with horses? they have a lot of hay etc

I think it depends on your council, best to ask them.

I separate newspaper from hay and poops and the newspaper goes out with the general rubbish (about half a black bin bag a week) and the hay and poops go on the compost. I wouldn't compost wood shavings though, most gardeners won't use that unless it's very well composted down as it robs the soils of nitrogen while decomposing.

Mine goes into my green garden waste bin. We can put hay, straw and wood shave (i don't use it) in but not the wood pellet litter i use in their litter trays.

Oh this subject always gets me riled. :lol:

I have to pay to have mine taken away. My local council do a special collection which costs me £15 for two wheelie bins full, so it usually costs me £30-£45 per month just to get rid of my bunny waste.

I have 10 rabbits (cleaned out daily) so far too much for my fortnightly wheelie bin collection.

We are not allowed to take it to the local tip (which is what I used to do). Even though it is only hay and poo, they will not accept it as it is classed as contaminated waste. They won't accept it even if it is bagged or double bagged, it is an absolute ruling which applies throughout the whole of Nottinghamshire. This absolutely infuriates me! We have had conversations with the Waste Inspector at our District Council, but her hands are tied as the ruling comes from Notts County Council.

Having it collected by allotment holders is not really an option for me as it's not a definite enough solution and I don't think I would get rid of all of it this way anyway.

Oh this subject always gets me riled. :lol:

I have to pay to have mine taken away. My local council do a special collection which costs me £15 for two wheelie bins full, so it usually costs me £30-£45 per month just to get rid of my bunny waste.

I have 10 rabbits (cleaned out daily) so far too much for my fortnightly wheelie bin collection.

We are not allowed to take it to the local tip (which is what I used to do). Even though it is only hay and poo, they will not accept it as it is classed as contaminated waste. They won't accept it even if it is bagged or double bagged, it is an absolute ruling which applies throughout the whole of Nottinghamshire. This absolutely infuriates me! We have had conversations with the Waste Inspector at our District Council, but her hands are tied as the ruling comes from Notts County Council.

Having it collected by allotment holders is not really an option for me as it's not a definite enough solution and I don't think I would get rid of all of it this way anyway.

Oh how annoying for you!!

Tracy,

I don't know if this would work but our allotments have a stables next door and on the allotment site is a specific spot for the stables to put all their waste. Could you collaborate with an allotment association like that and drop it off in a specified place for all the allotment holders to use?

Sometimes if you have too much waste for your own bin you can find neighbours who have bin space and will let you put some bags in theirs?

I live in a flat now and can make as much waste as I like, but when I lived in a house we made so little waste that we only put the black bin out once a month! So maybe there is someone near you like that who could help?

Composting is a good option. Allotment sites often have a communal compost area. If you could arrange to drop it off at certain times, or arrange to get a key so you can do it to suit you, I'm sure they would be grateful - just ask someone on the site. If one isn't interested, there are usually lots of sites run by the council (look on their website). They all have their own quirks about how they are run, so keep trying

You'll need to check with your local council about whether you can put it in your garden waste bin. As Aly&Poppy said, wood shavings are not good for rabbits as they can cause respiratory illnesses, problems and distress. Megazorb (horse bedding, but it's recycled newspaper basically) is allowed to go into the garden waste bin where I am along with all the wee, poo and hay; and that works really well for me. Other litter tray substrates are good too and should be fine to go in the bin - anything that's paper/wood based should be able to go in there fine.

I have two green garden waste bins that it can all go in, except for the newspaper I think. They get collected fortnightly. I cram as much into the grey household waste bins as I can, then the rest I have to take to the tip. (On the other side of town since they closed the local one :evil:)

My council will not allow rabbit bedding to be put in the green garden waste bins and if they see it they will leave your bin unemptied for ever unless you take it all out:shock: they also look at the contents as its been upended in the lorry and if they see anything that shoulnd't be there they leave a very stern warning notice on your bin threatening a fine if you do it again.

So my bagged waste either goes in the grey wheelie bin if I have room or its a trip to the tip once a fortnight.

You'll need to check with your local council about whether you can put it in your garden waste bin. As Aly&Poppy said, wood shavings are not good for rabbits as they can cause respiratory illnesses, problems and distress. Megazorb (horse bedding, but it's recycled newspaper basically) is allowed to go into the garden waste bin where I am along with all the wee, poo and hay; and that works really well for me. Other litter tray substrates are good too and should be fine to go in the bin - anything that's paper/wood based should be able to go in there fine.

they don't have wood shaving any more but i have a back log of soiled bags full of it.
1 of my bunnies is a sneezer so i've had to get rid of straw and wood shavings and use wood pellets and hay in the litter tray, piece of lino on the floor and they have a fleece and natural carefresh pet beeding mixed with the paper bedding, and the only hay she doesn't sneeze while eating is timothy, she is still a sneezer with white snot but not as much and her lungs are sounding clear now.
fingers crossed she stays that way.

Back