• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sunshine Daydream is all grown up . . .

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Sunshine Daydream has grown from an ugly duckling to a stunning princess!!! now 3 months old with long slender ears and legs. Can remember when she arrived and could fitted easily into the palm of our hands at 1 day old . . .

file-137.jpg

file-138.jpg

file-139.jpg

file-136.jpg

(sorry its an iphoneimaged - camera batts ran out!!!)

PS this makes her tummy look a bit podgy but thats just the way she is sitting . . and in case anyone is wondering, no she isn't a rabbit!!

Last edited:
She looks just like the hare we had:love: Well done for doing such a brilliant job! Wish we could have gotten Paddy to that stage.

Very pretty... what will you do with her next?

well that is something we have pondered on continuously.

As you can see because of having to handle her frequently from the age of Day 1 of her life she is very trusting of the humans she knows -

As our long term plan had been release, she is not as 'domesticated' as we might have made her - we kept her in a separate bedroom for the first 6 weeks with only us seeing her to feed etc. In retrospect we might have done that differently.

At present she has free range of the top of the house (2 LARGE bedrooms and hall and stairs) and also of the living room (again LARGE).

She makes full use of these at night (hares are nocturnal basically) and in parts of the day.

At night when she is not running around the house she sleeps on our bed (on my partners side) by choice.

We also take her out to a run with covered area on a regular basis and she sits and looks at the world go by.

When she is out (and indeed when she is in) she shows no desire to escape from the areas she is in - and does not 'pace' or scrabble etc etc

On days she is outside at c6pm she will go and sit in her carry crate to wait to be brought in again (she has plenty of other shelter to sit in).

As you can see by this lengthy explanation considering her future is not simple . . . she seems happy with us but I am very well aware of the 'wild animals should be wild' viewpoint.

We are currently in the very final throes of finishing our rabbit proof run (7-8ft high meshed) which is c11m by 12m (34 by 37 ft) and when this is finished we will try her in that running free (the rabbits take turns in groups so she can have a turn on her own) and see if she still comes back to her carry box at dusk.

She KNOWS what the carry box means - she is not just using it as shelter as she has lots of other shelters in her present outside small run - and so returning to it is the choice to return to us and the house. She walks into it and lays there and stays there when partner comes to put the front on to carry her back into house.

But also in our minds is the fact we are pretty certain she is a girl (3 months old now and no visible testicles and seems to have same genital shape as female rabbits) so hormones etc may have an impact next spring if she is still with us.

I have asked several people and rescues about the situation and get (as you would expect) varied responses and also stories of other hares and what happened to them - some successful some not - some released some not. Not all releases are successes not all non releases are successes.

I would say had she come to us at a week old, or when the weather was less freezing, then release would have been the total and achievable aim, but 1 day old is very different and the weather also meant she was kept indoors.

For now she seems happy and she is alive.

Sorry for such a long answer.

PS we do also have 3 wildie rabbits who are with us - and they have also adapted to life with us after being orphans - they love the new run area but again run back into their 'chalet' home at feed time or when they feel threatened (bird of prey flying over or stranger around etc) or when they just want a lay down etc

Last edited:
well that is something we have pondered on continuously.

As you can see because of having to handle her frequently from the age of Day 1 of her life she is very trusting of the humans she knows -

As our long term plan had been release, she is not as 'domesticated' as we might have made her - we kept her in a separate bedroom for the first 6 weeks with only us seeing her to feed etc. In retrospect we might have done that differently.

At present she has free range of the top of the house (2 LARGE bedrooms and hall and stairs) and also of the living room (again LARGE).

She makes full use of these at night (hares are nocturnal basically) and in parts of the day.

At night when she is not running around the house she sleeps on our bed (on my partners side) by choice.

We also take her out to a run with covered area on a regular basis and she sits and looks at the world go by.

When she is out (and indeed when she is in) she shows no desire to escape from the areas she is in - and does not 'pace' or scrabble etc etc

On days she is outside at c6pm she will go and sit in her carry crate to wait to be brought in again (she has plenty of other shelter to sit in).

As you can see by this lengthy explanation considering her future is not simple . . . she seems happy with us but I am very well aware of the 'wild animals should be wild' viewpoint.

We are currently in the very final throes of finishing our rabbit proof run (7-8ft high meshed) which is c11m by 12m (34 by 37 ft) and when this is finished we will try her in that running free (the rabbits take turns in groups so she can have a turn on her own) and see if she still comes back to her carry box at dusk.

She KNOWS what the carry box means - she is not just using it as shelter as she has lots of other shelters in her present outside small run - and so returning to it is the choice to return to us and the house. She walks into it and lays there and stays there when partner comes to put the front on to carry her back into house.

But also in our minds is the fact we are pretty certain she is a girl (3 months old now and no visible testicles and seems to have same genital shape as female rabbits) so hormones etc may have an impact next spring if she is still with us.

I have asked several people and rescues about the situation and get (as you would expect) varied responses and also stories of other hares and what happened to them - some successful some not - some released some not. Not all releases are successes not all non releases are successes.

For now she seems happy and she is alive.

Sorry for such a long answer.

PS we do also have 3 wildie rabbits who are with us - and they have also adapted to life with us after being orphans - they love the new run area but again run back into their 'chalet' home at feed time or when they feel threatened (bird of prey flying over or stranger around etc) or when they just want a lay down etc

I can see your dilemma. You've done so well with her so far though you should be very proud of your achievements. I personally wouldn't beat yourself up over the 'wild animals should be kept wild' argument though, yes there is that, but then again, you haven't gone and snatched her in a net from the wild, you have loved her and cared for her when she would otherwise be dead. That's just my view of the situation, she's now not entirely the same as a pure wild hare. I think your decision to see how she is with the caryr box is an excellent one.

All the best to you and her. She's very striking. I've never seen a hare in real life.

Where she trusts you I would be so worried about her out in the wild :( what if she doesn't run away from someone? The wrong person :(

I think unless she shows signs of stress you are well within your rights to try and give her the best life possible with you.

I also think that you have 100% just reasons to have her stay with you. She was born wild and would have died had you not intervened. She is not wild now though, and she sounds like she has a happy life, choosing to sleep in the bed and come back into the house....sounds like she knows where her bread is buttered!

Absolutely beautiful! :love: I adore hares so much! A lot of my jewellery has hares on it, and I love watching youtube videos of them running free :D
Although I usually think that wild animals should be kept in the wild, having been brought up by you she can't be considered truly wild and I think you would give her a great quality of life if she were to stay! She obviously has a bond with you, you are her family as far as she knows. :love:
Good luck with what ever you decide for her, I'm sure it will be the right choice :D

I also think you have 100% reasons for keeping her with you. Her behaviour is not that of a truly wild hare.

I do not believe any wild animal should be taken from the wild and kept as a pet, but I don't think hard and fast rules can be applied to hand-reared orphans, particularly those who have been reared from a very young age. My view is that wild hand-reared orphans have to be considered for release on an individual basis with the decision being made in their best interests by the person who knows them best...their carer.

I think the fact she shows such affection to you both and purposefully goes into the carrier herself shows you all you need to know.

I would worry about her adapting t life in the wild, would she find it hard to communicate with other hares would they accept her?

Regardless of what you decide to do, it will be the right decision.
You have done very well by her, and she is so beautiful :love:

Sunshine daydream all grown up. So lovely. I love the image of her going back in to her carrier to be taken back inside :love: I can see that keeping her with you seems to be where its heading as far as I can tell. She sounds well contented.

Back