• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

starting a rescue centre

cooldarls

Alpha Buck
Sorry I havent been on here for a while. Having a 10 month old Border collie take up my time.

ANYHOO

I am asking for some advice from you fab people on here. A lady near where I live has started a rescue at her home, she is taking any unwanted bunnies and trying to rehome them. I am a little worried and dont know how to help her or the bunnies in her care.

She has been running the rescue for a month and up to now has rescued upto 20 bunnies all living in different hutches around her garden and in a spare bedroom. She had 5 new babies come in yesterday and when putting pics up said she didnt know if the were boys or girls. she had never sexed abunny before. Then tonight she has taken in another 4 bunnies. She had but on her page that one of her bunnies had kept her up scratching and nest building all night, when asked if the bunny came in pregnant she said she didnt know but it had been playing with her males.

She couldnt get to a place to pick a bunny up as she had no fuel but to get from where she lives to the house would of taken 5 minutes if that. If she cant afford fuel she can she afford rabbit food and medcine. When asked if she has a neuturing policy she didnt say anything. She asks for alot of food and equipment as donations which is fine, its how people can help out.

She was asking the other day how old a female bunny needs to be so it can breed. As a rescue I wouldnt think you would want breeding happening and getting them spayed or neutured would mean that people she is rehoming too dont have to take that on as a extra payment people forget about, she would be doing it for health reason of the bunnies and knowing that any bunny she rehomes can not have any accidental litters.

I was going to mention to her to maybe do updates on the bunnies so people know their temperaments and can consider if they are a bunny they could live with.

I have a nasty feeling she has taken on far too much far too quickly and the bunnies may end up suffering if she takes anymore on.

I want to help somehow but dont know how.

Thankyou in advance for your advice and help

Hiya thankyou, Think that has been my gut instinct from the off. Think I just needed someone else to say it too

I agree with Happybun, this lady thinks she is resucueing but it sounds like she may have a problem to be honest :(

It sounds like you're right - she's taken on too much, too quickly and has no real knowledge and experience with rabbits from what it sounds like :( Knowing how to sex and when females can get pregnant should've been something she looked into before starting up a rescue, it's basic rabbit knowledge.

Goodness, this sounds awful. I am sure she has good intentions, but she isn't 'rescuing' these bunnies at all. :(

Not sure if the RSPCA will do anything, but you can try them. Otherwise, perhaps you can try having a chat with her?

Back