• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boris - UD: liver problems

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Hello, I know I haven't been around for a while for various reasons but I am getting concerned about Boris. A little bit ago he started weeing out side of the litter tray, I thought nothing of this really but he's got progressively worse were now he is always wet on his back end, his legs are nearly always soaking which is bothering him because he flicks and grooms them a lot and he seems to be always weeing now. Also the past few days he's been drinking nearly all of his big bowl of water which he never used to do and he is very skinny which I never noticed him loosing weight but his hip is very visible and is spine is almost visible depending on how he's sat. Today and yesterday he's also seemed very tired, just sat hunched up on my bed, I can't believe how skinny and sad he looked earlier whereas less than a week or so he didn't. He still gets very excited over food and is eating well and is still inquisitive when I'm in my room and what not, but only today after I noticed he'd drank a lot he could have kidney problems, does this sound likely? I'll be getting a vet appointment as soon as next week.

Last edited:
He may have Kidney problems, possibly due to infection, possibly due to uroliths (stones) or possibly due to EC.

I would get him to the Vet tomorrow. In the meantime be extra vigilant re Flystrike as he will be at high risk if he is wet with urine a lot of the time.

He sounds really poorly :( I have no suggestions about what might be wrong but I reckon it would be best to take him to the vets tomorrow. Hope he's feeling better soon!

He may have Kidney problems, possibly due to infection, possibly due to uroliths (stones) or possibly due to EC.

I would get him to the Vet tomorrow. In the meantime be extra vigilant re Flystrike as he will be at high risk if he is wet with urine a lot of the time.

Thankyou, yes I will keep a close eye on him and have been giving him a little wipe and trying to keep him clean although he is indoors in my room.

Sorry I haven't updated sooner, he weighs just over 1kg and was quite anaemic. Vet thinks either chronic kidney failure or diabetes (although said that's quite rare in rabbits). I should be getting results from bloods back tomorrow.

Thankyou both. We think kidney failure is the most likely, if this is the case as it looks like it might be chronic what can be done about this? I like to have an idea and then discuss with my vets you see.

Vets called with Boris' results, his kidneys are working it is his liver which isn't and pancreas. Vet said he thinks he might have tumours :cry: I'm to take some poo sample in on Monday and vet thinks we should book him in for a scan of his liver on Thursday. Im going on work experience at my vets next week so I'll get to be with him and take him with me.

Thankyou, handed in his poo sample today so should hopefully have that back by the end of the week although he seems to have got worse over the past couple of days, he seems very miserable and not himself at all. I was talking to the vet today and he thinks it may be best to wait until we get the results from the poo back before doing a scan because he thinks it is very likely he has a tumour/s which there isn't anything which can be done but we're doing more tests to rule out things which could be treated such as parasites although we both think euthanasia will probably be what will happen. :cry:

Thankyou, handed in his poo sample today so should hopefully have that back by the end of the week although he seems to have got worse over the past couple of days, he seems very miserable and not himself at all. I was talking to the vet today and he thinks it may be best to wait until we get the results from the poo back before doing a scan because he thinks it is very likely he has a tumour/s which there isn't anything which can be done but we're doing more tests to rule out things which could be treated such as parasites although we both think euthanasia will probably be what will happen. :cry:

I am really sorry to hear this :cry:

Back