• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bleugh! Scend glands!

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I've never had a look before, but Grim is very dirty underneath and I was giving him a clean up with some cotton wool and water. He had some poo stuck just next to his willy and as I got it off it opened up where his scent gland is one one side. I had a bit of fly strike scare as there was all white bits! Cleaned him all up down there and all I can say is, the smell is... interesting...

He's still got a fair bit of urine staining but I'll have to do it in steps or he gets too stressed. Had to get the poo off his feet as he can't do it and it give him sore hocks. :(

Fly strike spray

First of all, hi. I'm new to the site, so forgive my if I sound a bit like an idiot at first!
I just wanted to say, that I found some preventative spray for fly strike, I found it at Pets at Home, but I'm sure it can be found in any pet super store. It doesn't get rid of fly strike, but it repels flys from your bunny. i suggest you go to the vet to check, but if you are sure that he doesn't have fly strike, getting the spray may be a good idea to keep him strike free! I can't remember the name of the spray off the top of my head, but if you would like me too, I can check. Best of luck, to you and Grim!

Thanks. :)
Grim is a bit more at risk of fly strike because he's ill but I prefer not to use the sprays because I don't like the idea of him ingesting it when he cleans. So I just check him over quite often instead. Thanks for replying though. :wave:

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

It seems that all if our buns are far too lazy to clean their own scent glands.

Our top tip is always use cotton wool or similar and never, ever be tempted to uses a fingernail to get a stubborn bit out, as it take forever to get the smell to go away! :mrgreen:

I used cotton wool. :)
Now I've found under his chin is infected though. That hurts him too much for me to clean. He's on all his antibiotics and pain killers so I need to ask the vet if I leave it or get him sedated to clean it. :?

Back