• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur

I have just bought Panacur from the vet and had discussion about how to use, as a preventative. He recommends 9 day course 4x per year, but did say that this would not guarantee that the girls would be worm and EC free.

So, are there other precautions I should be taking as well to avoid a problem?

Thank-you

I personally do not see the point. I have been told that it shouldn't be used as a preventative and only used as a treatment for if symptoms of E.C are showing.
I believe there is no scientific evidence to prove that it's any good as a preventative.

I know a lot of people who regularly wormed their buns and they ended up with E.C anyway.

Good husbandry, especially minimising ingestion of urine contaminated hay/feed etc

I note you run a Boarding facility. I would never therefore allow Boarders to exercise on grassed areas used by your Rabbits. Whilst concrete can be bleach cleaned (a 10% bleach solution will kill EC spores) grass cannot be. EC spores are excreted in the urine and can remain viable outside of the host for about 30 days.

Sounds like the Panacur could be a waste of money, in that case, as I was told that it would work as a preventative measure.

I have hay feeders and clean all hay and bedding out daily, so the husbandry should be tip top. Their home is cleaner than mine :roll:

Noted re the boarders, I started boarding in April and although the runs are on hardstanding which is disinfected frequently, I did allow my boarders to use the grass when they stayed during May half term a couple of times (in areas not used by my rabbits), thinking that this would allow them to dig if they chose. I will stop this practice, given this advice, and stick to the hardstanding for the run enclosures at all times.

Thank you.

Back