• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

charlie is leaking -on baytril for uti

lucy24

Mama Doe
:( bloods came back normal last time, no EC etc... his white cells were a little high though. he seemed better but now its happening again! clear puddles everywhere! what could cause a recurring problem?

Last edited:
yes he did and it went but has come back 2 months later :( just curious as to why its come back...

yes he did and it went but has come back 2 months later :( just curious as to why its come back...

Some buns are prone to it. What's his diet consist of? Could he be suffering with sludge?

How long was he on the antibiotics for and what were they? Sometimes if the bunny hasn't been on them long enough, the infection isn't completely eradicated and so will come back after a few weeks/months.

he was on baytril for about 10 days. he just mainly eats hay and a few bits of colliflower, grass- the only thing is that he has been having some pellets recently and usaully doesnt. he was also on metacan for 5 days as his bladder was sore

As I am aware baytril is not the best antibiotic for urine infections. If I were you, I'd take him back to the vets and ask for a course of Septrin. I would also take in a urine sample and see if there are any traces of calcium/sludge.

As I am aware baytril is not the best antibiotic for urine infections. If I were you, I'd take him back to the vets and ask for a course of Septrin. I would also take in a urine sample and see if there are any traces of calcium/sludge.

Actually it usually is :) Unless the specific bacteria involved is resistant to it. Often the core of infection is deep within the bladder wall. So a VERY long course of treatment is often needed, sometimes up to 4 weeks.

Bladder sludge/stones is another possible cause of urinary incontinence, so this needs to be investigated too.

Do be extra vigilant re Flystrike, incontinent Rabbits are at a very high risk.

Actually it usually is :) Unless the specific bacteria involved is resistant to it. Often the core of infection is deep within the bladder wall. So a VERY long course of treatment is often needed, sometimes up to 4 weeks.

Bladder sludge/stones is another possible cause of urinary incontinence, so this needs to be investigated too.

Do be extra vigilant re Flystrike, incontinent Rabbits are at a very high risk.

Ah! I always thought it was septrin, as this is what I've always been given for my buns and it's cleared UTI's up right away!

In that case then, a longer course must be needed. If your vet does put him on a long course of baytril, then I would definitely think about getting some probiotics to help his gut cope with the antibiotic. :thumb:

ok thanks and yes i keep checking his bum even though he is indoors at the moment. ive also out some flyguard on just as an extra deterant

am leaving soon for his appt at 1:15- bit nervous but hopefully we can get to the bottom)excuse the pun) of his problems:wave:

My Inca was prone to urine / bladder issues. She would get abx, it would clear up for a while, then often things came back. Unfortunately some bunnies just get issues popping back :(

Vibes from me x

yes they do think uts a UTI. his temp is fine, his weight hasnt changed and his bladder didnt have any discomfort when checked so for now he is on a course of baytril again. the vet seems happy that he is otherwise healthy and spritely(VERY WRIGGLY AND NAUGHTY IN OTHERWORDS LOL) if this doesnt work or it comes back then she will investigate further. his bum was actually quite dry when she checked it today :roll:

Back