• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Berrys legs!!

BerryJane

Alpha Buck
So, Berry is having a bad weekend with his legs!

A couple of months ago - after noticing him being wobbly for a while - I took him to the vets and she ( I do trust this vet completely) said it may be arthritis or it may be muscle waste. she said to try him on metacam for 2 weeks and see if there was a difference. He had good days and bad but I didnt really see much major improvement. So we then tried 2 weeks off the metacam to compare the weeks. Again he had good and bad days but very similar to when he was on the metacam - def not worse.

The vet thought that as the metacam had not made a difference it was more likely to be muscle waste. She felt that the bad days may be a result of him slipping / falling / banging his legs when trying to jump etc and on those occasions to use the metacam as a painkiller as we would a headache tablet.

I have been doing that and he has probably had it a couple of times a week. But since thursday he has had it daily.

He is still nosy, eating, cleaning himself - although he often slips and has to start again - and generally wanting to do the normal things - but cant. I take it that as he is trying to be normal he cant be suffering too much which is great - but I want to say 'just lie down and have a nap' as its horrid watching him.

His back legs almost turn it and the toes nearly touch when he walks slowly and tries to do small turns or movments. When he gets into a run he isnt quite as bad but its not normal. He is not allowed out now as he cannot manage grass at all. Its so upsetting as he loves binkying on the grass and I hate not letting him out but it is just not safe for him now. :(

I know many of you have bunnies far worse than Berry is but as he is 8 I feel so sick in the pit of my stomach all the time. After my son he is my main priority in life and as much as I adore my other boys Berry really is so special to us all in our house. I know you will understand what I mean as I recognise the love that I have for Berry as the same love you have for your buns in so many posts!

He is booked in to the vets on monday teatime - not sure if there is anything she can do but at least she can feel if there is any difference when she manipulates them.

Sorry for the 'me' post - I just needed to write it all down!
Love to you all and your wonderful big eared friends xx :)

Back