• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis

Hi Everyone, Thank you for the kind welcome. I am very pleased to become a member of this community.
Now, what I really want to know is has there been any new cases of Myxomatosis in the Leicestershire area. I have rabbits and naturally I am worried sick in case there is an outbreak. Obviously if there is an outbreak I will take every precaution I can to prevent my rabbits from this disease.
Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you

Are they vaccinated? The old vaccine used to not be foolproof as it was made from a related strain rather than the actual strain of myxo but the new one should be providing the animal is in good health when given the vaccination. The new vaccine also protects from VHD, another deadly disease.

It will depend on your vet. It used to cost me 3x£20 for the old vaccine (2 myxo, 1 VHD) now it costs me £30.

Ros from the RWAF posted an announcement in this thread the other day, which says that there's been a case of myxi in an unvaccinated rabbit in Leicestershire.

The cost of the vaccine varies from practice to practice but, if you ring your vet, they'll be able to tell you the price over the phone. From what I recall from other threads on here, the price can range from around £20 to £40 so it can vary considerably.

How much is the vaccine, they are vaccinated with the old vaccine but do I need to have them vaccinated with the new vaccine.

With the old vaccine they needed it every 6 months to be protected, with the new one it is done once a year. It isn't a "one-off" thing, it has to be repeated and your vet should send a reminder to let you know when your buns are due

Back