• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please regarding taking in a new bunnie

moi

Mama Doe
Hello all, I am taking in a bunny on Sunday. A friend of my Sisters had her Bunnys fight and one got killed. She is a lovely girl and took te pet shops word that 2 boys could live together without problems. I said I would take on the remaining bun for her. I currently have a male and female indoor buns and they have a large run in the garden. As you can imagine this is a bit last minute so I have no funds put aside. I shall save up for neauturing and in time will find him a wife. But any advice in the meantime will be great. I shall get him vaccinated on Monday also.

How do I go about changing from musli to burgess?
I do have a large shed but it has gaps at the top, if the hutch is too small would this shed be suitable?
Would the bunny be able to use my bunnys run while they are not in it?? If not would he be ok in a run next to theres or should he be kept out of sight??

Any advice however large or small would be amazing, and thank you in advance as I have always found this forum a great help x

Changing over food of any kind needs to be done gradually over 10 days or so and gradually decrease the muesli and increase the burgess :) with regards to the shed, it should be ok, I would maybe look into patching up the small gaps just to prevent small birds etc getting in. The run situation I guess depends on how well bonded your bunnies are, mine are newly bonded do if any bunny is in sight it cause a bit of a humping frenzy and a little uneasy but they still do ok, I would maybe if you are able to, keep them out of sight of each other, but I understand if you have a smallish garden this may not be possible. Also you may want to make sure new bun is vaccinated and if not isolate from yours until vaccinated and over the incubation period :) hope this helps a little :)

Im lucky I have a large garden so I can keep them away from each other. I shall phone the vets on Monday as I doubt bunnie has been vaccinated. Shall find out more tomorrow when he arrives :)

Back