• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any guesses on Monty's breed?

Heather_87

New Kit
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum but thought I'd come and share in the bunny-love along with my house rabbit, Monty.
He's a real cutie!

We've had Monty for a couple of months now and he lives in our lounge. In fact he's currently sat up on the back of the sofa making mischief as per usual!
Monty was a rescue rabbit so we don't know what breed he is. I'd like to know so that I can check that his weight is what it should be.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

Possibley lionhead in there with all that (adorable) fluff and perhaps (guessing here) dutch... He is LOVELY :love::love: I have two lionhead x dutch that are just under 2kg at 9 months old.

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum but thought I'd come and share in the bunny-love along with my house rabbit, Monty.
He's a real cutie!

We've had Monty for a couple of months now and he lives in our lounge. In fact he's currently sat up on the back of the sofa making mischief as per usual!
Monty was a rescue rabbit so we don't know what breed he is. I'd like to know so that I can check that his weight is what it should be.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

Oh my, he's super cute. He's a dutch marked (x) lionhead.

I have a friends rabbit here fore boarding that is identical! He's called Spock and came from Bobtails.

Lionhead, I don't think there's any Dutch in there at all, the Vienna gene (unrelated to the Dutch breed but produces similar patterns) causes blue eyes to override other eye colours and Dutch like patterns and as your rabbit has blue eyes the Vienna gene is definitely present so there may not be any Dutch mixed in. Also that colour of Dutch is quite rare and is recessive to many other genes so I don't think a Dutch cross would make that colour

ETA: Just to make it clear, not all Vienna marked rabbits have blue eyes, but the Vienna gene can cause one or both eyes to turn blue even though brown is usually dominant to blue. Sometimes Vienna rabbits might just have a white toe or something and no other obvious markings

Last edited:
Lionhead, I don't think there's any Dutch in there at all, the Vienna gene (unrelated to the Dutch breed but produces similar patterns) causes blue eyes to override other eye colours and Dutch like patterns and as your rabbit has blue eyes the Vienna gene is definitely present so there may not be any Dutch mixed in

this :) I'd guess at him being a cross breed, defo some lionhead in there but his body shape is fairly sleek and in my experience lionheads are more stocky :)

Definately lionhead fluff :)

On the issue of weight though, you can't judge it based on breed. If you look at the breed standards they'll give a weight range eg 1.3-1.7kg for lionheads. BUT a rabbit that is normally 1.7 and drops to 1.3 would be under weight (that's almost 25% underweight!) and one going the other way over weight. And those weights are a breed ideal - in other words a lot of lionheads won't fall within that weight range - they are still lionheads but they aren't potential show winners.

You really need judge weight for an individual, if you are a bit unsure ask your vet - they can tell you if your bunnies about right and then you can note it down to compare against later.

Back