• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is This A Smut?

On my chocolate Himalayan? (on her back?)

photo.JPG

I am thinking smut is a mark on a Rabbits coat which is non harmful to the bunny and just a discoloration to the coat, so who cares if a Rabbit gets it as long as the bunny is happy & healthy........well I know someone wanting to show a bunny would care but to me it wouldn't matter!

What's a smut? I've seen someone on here mention one before but I don't know what they are :oops: also, I can't see a picture :?

edit-oops never mind I should've read the posts above me first :oops:

Last edited:
I just found this excerpt or you regarding smuts

The curiosity of the Himalayan markings is that they are heat sensitive. A Himalayan that grew up in a cold climate will have darker points than one raised in a hot climate. In fact, some Californian or Himalayan breeders that live in southern regions actually have a “chiller room” where they keep the temperature low to keep their rabbits’ points dark. The flip side is that in the northern climates, rabbits can develop smut or spots on the body over the winter, which is a disqualification. This often happens when the rabbit lies against a cold metal divider or feeder overnight. These spots, called “smut” may molt out the next summer, or the rabbit may wear it the rest of its life. Darrel Howe, a leading Californian breeder, told me that if you want the best, most even point color, keep a climate controlled rabbitry at about 45 to 65 degrees Fahrenheit.

So yes it would be a disqualification but it may moult out. Enjoy your gorgeous bunny for what they are - smut or not :D

Hello. I saw the pic of your beautiful rabbit in another thread. I keep rabbits but dont show them so a smut would not be an issue for me. Guess you need to ask show people for their opinion as they are more likely to be experienced with that kind of thing.

Back