• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding two male rabbits...

Jojo123

Mama Doe
Im re-bonding Buster and Alfie, gave them 10 mins in the bath last night and gave then 10 mins just. When do you know when to stop behaviour that may lead into a fight? Buster was humping Alfie last night, i let him a bit but stopped him when he humped Alfies face. Just i let Buster hump Alfie for a bit longer, he humps him then sticks his head under Alfies chin and when Alfie ignores him he has a hump again. I took them out after they went nose to nose, Busters ears were back And Alfies was turned back but not flat. Im not sure where the line is for splitting them up, i dont want them to hurt each other although Alfie doesnt seem too bad with the humping he can be very noisy when frightened and he wasnt making any noise. Any advice i will be greatful for as the internet sites ive looked at can be quite contradictory :wave:

Don't want you to think you were being ignored :) When I've had to rebond my 3 (2 girls and a boy) I've not stopped after 10 mins tbh. For me it's easier to prepare a neutral space and put them in and stick with it for the duration. This means staying with them constantly for 24 hours plus so I always do it in a room next to a bathroom :D
I know this isn't possible for everyone so hope you get more answers soon :wave:

Thanks for the reply :D Buster is at this moment grooming Alfies face! I set them both free in Busters room but Buster just chased Alfie around, he caught him once and groomed him but Alfie just ran off again. So they are now cornered off in the room together. Buster loves him wish ALfie was a bit more enthusiastic but i think its going well! I have been taking pics will put them on in a mo if anyone wants to see :wave:

Thanks for the reply :D Buster is at this moment grooming Alfies face! I set them both free in Busters room but Buster just chased Alfie around, he caught him once and groomed him but Alfie just ran off again. So they are now cornered off in the room together. Buster loves him wish ALfie was a bit more enthusiastic but i think its going well! I have been taking pics will put them on in a mo if anyone wants to see :wave:

It may be better to let them have a neutral space together until they are rebonded...

It may be better to let them have a neutral space together until they are rebonded...

I kind of thought sod it i will give it a try :oops: But have put them in a smaller space in the room and its paid of as they are grooming each other now :D

I would leave humping and only split them when they are causing distress. I had a difficult bond with two dominant buns and only intervened when one wouldn't stop humping the other and was clearly causing a lot of stress. I split them on a night to give them a break and because I couldn't watch them. They could still see each other and sniff/touch through the mesh. After a week, they were fine together and went into the bedroom where they live now.

Going nose to nose just means neither are willing to submit and groom the other. My two do it even now and it usually ends up one of them being offended and turning their back to the other. Occasionally it ends in a nip or a box and a quick chase, but like I said, mine are very dominant and this is normal behaviour for them.

If they are grooming each other now, I would say that it is going very well. Still keep a close eye just in case.

I would leave humping and only split them when they are causing distress. I had a difficult bond with two dominant buns and only intervened when one wouldn't stop humping the other and was clearly causing a lot of stress. I split them on a night to give them a break and because I couldn't watch them. They could still see each other and sniff/touch through the mesh. After a week, they were fine together and went into the bedroom where they live now.

Going nose to nose just means neither are willing to submit and groom the other. My two do it even now and it usually ends up one of them being offended and turning their back to the other. Occasionally it ends in a nip or a box and a quick chase, but like I said, mine are very dominant and this is normal behaviour for them.

If they are grooming each other now, I would say that it is going very well. Still keep a close eye just in case.

Thank you, there was a bit of humping from Buster when i put them in the bath the other day but they have been in "jail" for 3 hours and no humping at all! Im very happy :D

Back