• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Medication HELP!

Hele

Warren Veteran
My foster bun Poppy is poorly, so obviously I had to use the rescues vets. She was diagnosed with a mild upper respiratory infection and sent away with appropriate drugs and will have a check up on tues. so far so good :p

BUT the vets like to use homeopathic remedies to supplement treatments and she was diagnosed a homeopathic spray to be used twice a day. I used it twice before curiosity got the better of me...

It's onion, red onion in spray form :( is this safe? I thought homeopathic stuff was normally quite concentrated? I don't know whether or not to use it now. If it were my vets I'd just phone but they aren't so they will probably just placate me.

How bad is onion? Do I need to be worried about the 2 sprays yesterday? (She seems ok) can I use it again?

I wish she had held off being poorly for a week or so cos then she would be mine and I could use my vets :(

No idea I am afraid. I think you do need to speak with the prescribing Vet again and if you are still not happy then contact the Rescue and discuss it with them xx

My foster bun Poppy is poorly, so obviously I had to use the rescues vets. She was diagnosed with a mild upper respiratory infection and sent away with appropriate drugs and will have a check up on tues. so far so good :p

BUT the vets like to use homeopathic remedies to supplement treatments and she was diagnosed a homeopathic spray to be used twice a day. I used it twice before curiosity got the better of me...

It's onion, red onion in spray form :( is this safe? I thought homeopathic stuff was normally quite concentrated? I don't know whether or not to use it now. If it were my vets I'd just phone but they aren't so they will probably just placate me.

How bad is onion? Do I need to be worried about the 2 sprays yesterday? (She seems ok) can I use it again?

I wish she had held off being poorly for a week or so cos then she would be mine and I could use my vets :(

I THINK homeopathic stuff is really really dilute actually so probably no need to worry, but I'd check with the vet if you're worrying :)

Homeopathic 'remedies' often don't contain as much as a single molecule of the actual substance, so I think you'll be fine. The whole idea is that they dilute it into such small amounts that it often isn't even there anymore, yet they claim it increases the potency :)lol:). Afaik it's just mixed with water so all you're spraying her with is water.

Homeopathy is absolute rubbish! If you're concerned at all, just don't use it. There's absolutely no proof at all that homeopathy works so you won't be harming her.

Back