• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ellie's all wobbly :( U/D #34 perforated eardrum, any advice/experience please :(

LainiT

Warren Scout
Bless her its awful. She keeps shaking her head really violently and it knocks her off her feet. :cry: She cant stand on 3 legs to clean her feet cos she wobbles and has to stop. goodness only knows if and when she does a poo whether she'll be able to eat it...and now i AM crying its awful to see.

She hopped round the vets room right as rain when i picked her up this morning after her night there. then I took her back at 7 tonight cos she was still really wobbly and shaking her head. And surprise surprise she hopped round the floor fine there tonight too. I get her back here and she's a right state. fed up. got a bag full of meds for her....shes hardly eating anything either and all i've had from her all day is a wee.:(

Last edited:
Hi

Poor you and poor little Ellie xxxxxxxxxxd

Please don't panic. Just sit with her and keep calm. She will still be coming to terms with being poorly as will you.

I know it's hard and scary and upsetting but you are there for her because you love her and can help.

I hope you take this the right way as I really mean well and would be with you to help if I could xxxxxxx

Thanks both of you, its awful I'm just clueless what to do. She just sits there on her blanket more than likely too scared to move. I'm working tomorrow too, I work one day a week and I'm so scared to leave her. I've put everything near her now...hay, water, litter tray bits of treats to tempt her. How can she be so fine at the vet and so utterly wobbly here

Thanks both of you, its awful I'm just clueless what to do. She just sits there on her blanket more than likely too scared to move. I'm working tomorrow too, I work one day a week and I'm so scared to leave her. I've put everything near her now...hay, water, litter tray bits of treats to tempt her. How can she be so fine at the vet and so utterly wobbly here

they seem to have something inbuilt that makes them act normal at the vets :roll:

feeling helpless is awful though. :( poor little thing. i hope she shows some improvement soon. it must be scary for her, but having everything near her so she doesn't have to move far should really help. x

Last edited:
Good idea to put everything in her reach. Hopefully she will get some rest tonight.

My buns do that not poorly at the vet thing - two of them had really snotty noses that miraculously cleared up as I drove them to the vet. The vet reckoned they sneezed it out in my car - still haven't found it - yuk or what!!!

Put what you can around her to provide support for sleeping and then try to get some rest. You'll be able to cope better yourself to help her tomorrow xx

Thankyou, I feel a bit better that I shouldn't automatically know what to do. She's normally charging crazy fast round the kitchen at this time of night, but she's just sat hiding. Tell you what though, she's not sneezed all day!!
I said to the vet, its like the kids - you wait a week while they're poorly and the second you get a doctor's appt they're all better!!!:roll:

It's true you know - they are so like kids. Cute, funny, up to mischief, very naughty, loveable, demanding, sulky, cuddly, hungry, wanting sweeties, not eating their dinner, not going to bed, breaking things and saying "not me mum", adorable, sleepy and everything!

I have been feeling my way along since I've had my buns as I didn't know anything about them but I wouldn't give them up for the world! I'm pretty skint now though with vet bills and stuff :lol:

Hugs for you xxx

I'm so sorry that Ellie is having such a bad time.

Definitely a good idea to keep everything nearby so she doesn't have to travel far and just keep her area soft and safe so that she doesn't hurt herself if she stumbles or falls over.

I agree with Rabcat, you need to try and get some rest. Things always seem harder to cope with when you are stressed and tired.

Thankyou for the good wishes. I feel bad leaving her to go to bed but she's not moving at all. Bandit hasn't left her side all night, might be devotion...or it might be the constant supply of goodies I keep trying to tempt her with! Tracy you saw the size of him a few weeks ago...he'll be a shed after this!!!

I'm so sorry about poor Ellie. I really hope she gets better. I'l be praying and thinking about you and Ellie. xx

Still pretty much the same by the looks of things. She just did one of those full body shakes and nearly fell over. She 's had a couple of strands of hay while I've been here Doesnt look enough poo around for her to have done any but I've got gut meds

Still pretty much the same by the looks of things. She just did one of those full body shakes and nearly fell over. She 's had a couple of strands of hay while I've been here Doesnt look enough poo around for her to have done any but I've got gut meds

Maybe you should ask the Vet to admit her today as you have to work ? Her hydration will need monitoring and she may need help with this.

Maybe you should ask the Vet to admit her today as you have to work ? Her hydration will need monitoring and she may need help with this.

I did wonder whether to, but she gets so stressed. I didnt know what to do for the best. She does seem happy to drink, I've seen her on a fair few occasions. Erm..that is what you meant isn't it Jane:oops:

I hope Ellie starts to improve today.

It is a difficult call deciding whether or not she is best off at home or at the vets, with her being so stressy. Maybe if she is admitted you might have a bit more peace of mind while you are at work and she will be in the best place if she doesn't take in enough fluid/food while you are out. She will have Bandit to look after her.

I really do feel for you. xx

I hope Ellie starts to improve today.

It is a difficult call deciding whether or not she is best off at home or at the vets, with her being so stressy. Maybe if she is admitted you might have a bit more peace of mind while you are at work and she will be in the best place if she doesn't take in enough fluid/food while you are out. She will have Bandit to look after her.

I really do feel for you. xx

I'm going to ring them see what they recommend. She just had 2 strands of grass...apparently thats enough to fill her up. :( oh and a couple of bites of apple.

Back