• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I hope I've made the right decision

marchi1990

Mama Doe
Yesterday evening I took Woody to the vets because I could tell from his behaviour that his teeth were hurting (he has long term dental problems - spurs which need treating every 4-6 weeks).

The vet said that they were noticeably bad - but nowhere near as bad as they have been for him. Her words: "Many rabbits currently have teeth like this and aren't displaying any symptoms."

The problem is, I am going on holiday the early hours of tomorrow.

The vet suggested to me that we put him on metacam because in her words "I would be highly surprised if something happened to him in the week you are away".

The metacam started last night.

However, I have just come home and he is noticeably in more pain - lots of teeth crunching etc.

It is now too late to have anything done.

My sister will be looking after him whilst I am away - I hoped (as the vet believed it would) that the metacam would work well enough so that I could take him for a dental on my return.

I am hoping and praying he will be okay this week. If not, my sister will have to take him for a dental. She is more than brilliant with him - however - nobody can help him recover from a GA like I can. And, every time he has one, he is taking longer and longer to recover.

I have just noticed that he is pooing in his shed - this is usually the ultimate sight he is in pain. I think it's almost guaranteed that he will need a dental ASAP.

Why couldn't my holiday have been next week?!?!

Last edited:
Oh dear.What I am about to say probably will be less than helpful but if it were me I wouldnt go on holiday, partly because I have no one who is confident enough to guarentee they would notice the signs of illness, but a lot of people on here think I think too much of my buns so may be best off asking somewhere else.

i'm the same sorry. i wouldn't go on holiday. i don't anyway because i can't leave them, so probably not the best person to comment, but i would be even more adament not to go if they really needed me. just me personally x

Well, my sister is excellent with him. We both live at home so she is with me and him so she is more than experienced with him. She also has been here each time he has been poorly so I do trust her.

I am waiting for the vet to ring back now.

I think I have decided that she will take him tomorrow to have the dental performed - I hope he comes through it fast and well.

I called the vets back - they made a mistake because my vet had actually gone home.

She said she will call in the morning - she said she can't book him in because she is currently fully booked.

I don't know what to do.

I called the vets back - they made a mistake because my vet had actually gone home.

She said she will call in the morning - she said she can't book him in because she is currently fully booked.

I don't know what to do.

Ask your Sister to get him booked in tomorrow as an 'Urgent' They will have to accommodate him as they will know that if he stops eating things will become even more problematic.

Yes my vet usually gets him in at the drop of the hat - the vet is calling tomorrow morning. My sister will insist that he has to be seen.

Your Sister seems good with him so yes I would probably go on holiday if I knew he would receive good medical care however do you think you'll spoil your holiday because you're too worried about him? Sending vibes for the wee man x x

You aren't proposing to abandon your rabbit. You yourself have said how brilliant your sister is with your rabbit. Please don't feel guilty about going on holiday - it could have been better timed, but it wasn't and sometimes life is like that. Your sister is the next best thing to you, and from what you say, sounds more than capable of providing the care Woody needs :) Good luck!

is he having his teeth pulled out? ...i dont think you have a choice and if theres any problems your sister can take him straight back to the vet it will be fine im sure...my rabbit had her teeth pulled 2 weeks ago and was under for a long time as she was spayed as well she was quite poorly for the first night i just kept her comfortable, warm with food and water and left her alone and she recovered beautifully....

rabbits do not like a lot of fuss when they are recovering they like to left alone, so enjoy your holiday ......and i hope it all goes well...

ps she enjoyed having chilled carrot thinly sliced with a potato peeler i think it helped cool her gums...;)

I have arrived in Tenerife!

My sister called and our amazing vet cancelled another appointment to be able to see Woody.

He had his op at 11 and my sis will collect him at 3.

Great! Right now, it's as good as it gets :)

Hope Woody goes on to make a speedy, drama free recovery.

Woody's op went very well - he ate a little at the vets.

Sister collecting him right now :love:

She wins top auntie award.

Back