• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

male/female question?

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this has been covered already which i'm sure it has,

So i have 4 bunnies 2 male and 2 fem, they are all in different hutches only the standard female is old enough to be neutered, so just waiting for the others to be done then I can bond them together rather than have the separate.

I am getting a continental Giant! eek! I've got a 10ft x 4ft x 4ft hutch but he/she will mainly free range in and out of the house (garden it totally enclosed with a 7ft fence all way round), however I don't know whether to get a male or female, which will be more friendly? is there any proof that one is better than the other, THEN should i get one or two? if i do will males or females get on better? I know they will get lots of interaction from me and the kids but we cant be as good as another bunny, Then if i get two do both have to be neutered?

any advice welcome!

Welcome to the forum :wave:. A male/female bonding is usually the easiest and strongest but you can pair same-sex couples as long as they are all neutered. Ensuring BOTH bunnies in a potential pairing have been neutered will make things much easier as there won't be any hormones interferring with the process. It also has untold health benefits too :thumb:.

So at the moment, you have 4 bunnies and you're getting another? I would personally attempt to bond two male/female pairs and get another companion for the 5th bunny. Or, if you don't want any more rabbits, do one pair and a trio, but trio's can be more tricky to bond. If none of them are together at the moment, you could always try one large group but you would need to make sure you had a sufficiently large enclosure for them, especially if one is a giant breed.

Thanks,

my other bunnies are rex standard and mini, a male and fem of each, i was going to bond the standards and the minis with each other after being 'done' as i was worried about the size difference or is that nothing to worry about, then the giant was going to either be on his/her own or get another for him/her?

is that a good idea?

Also just to add, you shouldn't have any of your rabbits free-ranging in your garden unsupervised. A 7ft fence will not stop a fox, or cat or other predators getting in and injuring, or worse, killing your rabbits.

oh no ill be there when im not they will either be in the run or in the house, there's LOADS of cats near us i'd never dream of letting them out without me being there! ;)

Rabbits don't seem to mind about size so you can bond a small with a large one. I suppose you just have to be a little careful with the actual bonding if there are huge size differences. As for the free ranging some people do allow them too, my four free range all day but like Graham has said there is a risk of a fox but I choose to prefer them to have more freedom and take the risk. Anyway hope the bonding goes ok with all the rabbits its not an easy task!

I am in a similar position. I have 2 pairs and 3 singles and want to add a long dreamed of Belgian hare. I am going to try to bond all 7 of mine or perhaps get the hare then bond them all at the same time. Sounds like you have lots of space for your rabbits. How wonderful. Rexs look rather hare like I always think.

Back