PDA

View Full Version : What can I feed my Colicky Bunny?

clarebear
20-06-2013, 02:22 PM
As some of you may know, Bramble has had a few episodes of very bad colic. We now believe this to be due to greens. So sadly, I have not been able to give him any greens for fear that he will get it again. I just don't think it's worth putting him through it.

So at the moment his diet is pellets, hay, small amounts of carrot and parsnips (his fav). I think he must be getting a little bored with this and wondered if anyone had any suggestions of what else I could give him?

He struggles to put on weight because of his breathing problems, so any tasty ideas would be gratefully recieved!

Kermit
20-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Do you mean greens as in spring greens or can he not have anything like dandelion etc either?

biscandmatt1
20-06-2013, 02:54 PM
fresh herbs can be better than 'greens'. my two have them as bisc has an extremely sensitive tummy and he can tolertate a small amount of fresh herbs. they seem gentler than other veg. x

clarebear
20-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Do you mean greens as in spring greens or can he not have anything like dandelion etc either?

We've found it happens if he has cabbage and broccoli...possibly some herbs, but we're not sure which ones. I've not tried dandelion recently.

GrahamL
20-06-2013, 03:06 PM
We've found it happens if he has cabbage and broccoli...possibly some herbs, but we're not sure which ones. I've not tried dandelion recently.

All of the greens you have mentioned are well known to cause gas in susceptible rabbits.

I would certainly recommend moving to either herbs, or plainly forage with the pellets and hay. Brambles, Hawthorn, Dandelions (not too many,they are a natural diuretic), plantain, that kind of thing, its all free too! :)

clarebear
20-06-2013, 03:09 PM
All of the greens you have mentioned are well known to cause gas in susceptible rabbits.

I would certainly recommend moving to either herbs, or plainly forage with the pellets and hay. Brambles, Hawthorn, Dandelions (not too many,they are a natural diuretic), plantain, that kind of thing, its all free too! :)

Thank you :wave: I am growing stuff for the bunnies at the moment, parsley, mint, corriander, carrot tops, kale, rocket and dandelions. Bramble has had some carrot tops and seems to be okay on those. Are there any herbs you wouldn't feed?

GrahamL
20-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Thank you :wave: I am growing stuff for the bunnies at the moment, parsley, mint, corriander, carrot tops, kale, rocket and dandelions. Bramble has had some carrot tops and seems to be okay on those. Are there any herbs you wouldn't feed?

I'd avoid Kale, its part of the cabbage family and can do the same as other greens (greens being 'cabbagey' items). It's also high in calcium.

Other than that, you should be okay with the other items I've seen.

:wave:

clarebear
20-06-2013, 03:38 PM
I'd avoid Kale, its part of the cabbage family and can do the same as other greens (greens being 'cabbagey' items). It's also high in calcium.

Other than that, you should be okay with the other items I've seen.

:wave:

Thank you!

Silly 'bunny mummy'!!!
20-06-2013, 03:44 PM
All my four aren't getting any cabbage of any kind anymore due to constant on and off bouts of gut problems and one with a frequent mucky bottom. Since I've stopped giving cabbage they all seem to have more energy (no more mucky bottoms either) and seem much more cheerful in themselves. They still have the usual herbs, carrots, apples (in moderation though), dandelion etc just no cabbage :wave:

clarebear
20-06-2013, 03:49 PM
All my four aren't getting any cabbage of any kind anymore due to constant on and off bouts of gut problems and one with a frequent mucky bottom. Since I've stopped giving cabbage they all seem to have more energy (no more mucky bottoms either) and seem much more cheerful in themselves. They still have the usual herbs, carrots, apples (in moderation though), dandelion etc just no cabbage :wave:

That sounds like what I am doing....evil cabbage!! :wave:

Silly 'bunny mummy'!!!
20-06-2013, 04:58 PM
That sounds like what I am doing....evil cabbage!! :wave:

I was on a mission to see what was causing their problems as I had a feeling it was food related so I cut out little bits until I could rule it out and in the end cabbage was the culprit! Such a shame as i really dont' think there's anything nicer than seeing a bunny tucking into a lovely crunchy cabbage leaf!! I know it's for their own good. :wave:

Amy104
21-06-2013, 08:38 AM
My tummy bun loves her herbs, it is one of the few things she can eat. Dill and Mint are very gentle on the stomach.

Vegan_Bunny
21-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Bramble leaves are good for tums! My two get no veg at all and get fresh forage daily. This consists of dandelions, hawthorne, dead nettle, bramble leaves, rose leaves, sticky weed, grass, mint leaves, apple twigs and leave and rasberry leaves. I have been looking at other things to feed them and they do occasionally get plantain (when I pick it from my local field) which they love.

clarebear
27-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Thank you everyone :wave:

Bramble is doing much better without the cabbage and the broccoli. He is having herbs and still a little carrot and parsnip. He seems much happier too!