• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help? My rabbit is using sofa as a toilet!

lubylulu

New Kit
I have a four month old Flemish giant named Whiskey. Gorgeous little bun but a big problem when it comes to toilet training. After repeatedly putting her soiled bedding in her litter tray she still insists on peeing randomly round her cage (not even in one spot!) The worst thing is though that she is jumping up on the sofa everyday and peeing all over it and especially over people sat there. Would be great if anyone had a solution because I can't keep washing cushions, throws and my partners clothes!

Spaying her will help with the territorial marking (spotting about her cage). It can be very difficult to litter train a bun that hasn't been neutered.

The peeing on the couch is a rabbit thing, unfortunately! :lol: I have had this problem with all my buns, but it's on my bed. :shock: The only way to stop them is to stop the jumping on the couch. Every time she jumps up, push her down and say "no". She will eventually understand that she is not allowed on the couch.
If you are wanting her to be on the couch, then wait until she is spayed and slowly start letting her up again. If she even looks like she is going to pee, push her down. There's not much point in doing this until she is spayed, however, because her hormones will be going wild and telling her to mark her territory over everything (especially the things smelling of you).

At 4 months she will be starting to become sexually mature. Ask your vets when they would be comfortable spaying her. Generally it's a few months later for giants, so I *think* about 6-8 months but each individual is different.

Aww thanks guys :) I was assuming that would be the case. The vets I'm with now Won't spay her yet so roll on two months time!

Aww thanks guys :) I was assuming that would be the case. The vets I'm with now Won't spay her yet so roll on two months time!

Best of luck when the time comes for her to be spayed!!! In the meantime, you might get....SPRAYED!!! I've been drizzled on by a neutered doe....twice in a week!!!

lubylulu, I hope you don't mind if I borrow your topic to ask my question :)

my rabbit pee'd on my bed twice until today. He doesn't jump on bed, because he is scared to jump down then. This morning, he desperately wanted to cuddle so he jumped on. After about 5-10 minutes of jumping on and off me and my boyfriend (he loves that) he peed between mine and my boyfriends pillow. I know he only did it because he loves us both so much, and the last time he ****** it was straight into my face. Yeah, that's how much he loves me... :lol:

So my question is: will neutering solve the problem out, even if he is so ''old'' already? he should be turning 2 years old this or next month.
I won't let him go on bed anymore, but he is free all the time (his cage is opened even when we are not home) and I'm afraid he will start coming on bed now in the night. But when we move and get sofa, I want him to be on sofa with us... So would neutering be a good help when teaching not to **** anymore?

Thanks! :wave:

my rabbit pee'd on my bed twice until today. He doesn't jump on bed, because he is scared to jump down then. This morning, he desperately wanted to cuddle so he jumped on. After about 5-10 minutes of jumping on and off me and my boyfriend (he loves that) he peed between mine and my boyfriends pillow. I know he only did it because he loves us both so much, and the last time he ****** it was straight into my face. Yeah, that's how much he loves me... :lol:

So my question is: will neutering solve the problem out, even if he is so ''old'' already? he should be turning 2 years old this or next month.
I won't let him go on bed anymore, but he is free all the time (his cage is opened even when we are not home) and I'm afraid he will start coming on bed now in the night. But when we move and get sofa, I want him to be on sofa with us... So would neutering be a good help when teaching not to **** anymore?

2 is still young for a bun so getting him neutered is a must. :thumb: It should help to stop this, especially the spraying. It will also help him to feel less frustrated.

Having said that, both my buns have gone through phases of peeing on my bed and they are both neutered. They pee where it smells most of us, it's like saying "you and your things belong to me now!" :lol:
I just put a waterproof sheet over my bed until they stopped. Took a few months and now I rarely have a problem.

The bit in bold may also be a factor. Mischa used to jump on my bed and then be scared of getting down, he could do it but usually chose not too because when he did do it he kind of threw himself off. So he ended up being stuck up there unable to get to his litter tray. We built a ramp for him and things improved.

0d7bb71b81121fef62cae71d9ba3968e_zpsebe57051.jpg

The bit in bold may also be a factor. Mischa used to jump on my bed and then be scared of getting down, he could do it but usually chose not too because when he did do it he kind of threw himself off. So he ended up being stuck up there unable to get to his litter tray. We built a ramp for him and things improved.

0d7bb71b81121fef62cae71d9ba3968e_zpsebe57051.jpg

That is adorable! :love:

aww bless the little bunny bed ramp is sooooo cute!!!
one suggestion, we had a similar problem wen we first got Maisy as she cud smell where our dog had been and was trying to overmark the scent of her and of us. I found the biggest success was just from washing everything she cud pee on with a biological washing powder, as bunnies noses r much better than ours nd can still smell hormones nd stuff that dont get removed in a non-bio wash. u can also use bio powder in water to mop tiled floors to stop her peeing in the same spot, do a second mop afterwards tho with plain water to remove any chemical residue (dont actually know if this is rlly necessary but it makes sense wot with how much bunnies like to lick things that smell new).
other than that, just patience and sheer luck should do it lol!!!
good luck xxx

Back