• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Little houdini! How to make an escape proof garden?

Jaffacake

Alpha Buck
Wasn't sure whether to put this in housing or rabbit chat, sorry if I got it wrong! :oops:

Over the last couple of weeks Foxie has been a little houdini. :? He runs out the back gate when we open it, he digged his way through in several places to our next door neighbours garden, and he even tried making a dash from the back door to the front to go out to the front garden. Flipping spring hormones!! :roll:

Luckily he is the tamest bun ever, and we've always managed to get him back immediately. My next door neighbours are friends and think he's hilarious, we keep getting 'bunny escape updates' through the door. :lol:

We've NEVER had this before. We've had four other buns other than Foxie, and we've 'bunny sat' for a couple of others too and no-one has ever burrowed out, or even tried. They dig to make a cool space to sit down and that's it... honestly this is driving us crazy!

Last night I went in the garden to put them away and Foxie was casually sat down next to a brand new hole in the fence he must have dug in the space of an hour as we've been checking throughout the day. Stupid animal! Luckily Bella isn't bothered about escape, she is nice and calm and would much rather hide behind the trees or in the strawberry patch. :lol:

So enough's enough. I don't want to limit their freedom but I am not having them getting themselves killed! They are locked in their run area (which is about 7 foot by 8 foot with the 2 tier 6' hutch in it) until we have enough time to get some wire and bunny proof round the edge of the whole garden. We don't even know how he manages it as we have concrete under the ground, and he's just chucking up giant clumps of the stuff like it's mud!!! :shock: They are not impressed about the limited space... sulky bunnies today :roll:

Does anyone have any advice on how to bunny proof round the outside of the garden? There is a wooden fence that goes partially under ground, the ground is full of concrete and stones. Would chicken wire work to stop him digging out?

Just a heads up too, we aren't going to stop them free-ranging- so although I very much appreciate peoples arguments against letting buns have free run of a garden, I have made the decision that their lives are of a better quality this way and I'm not going to change it. So I would rather just have advice on techniques for making free-ranging escape proof rather than arguing over my choices! :D

I have no helpful ideas as I have indoor buns but I had to read this because I love Foxie so much. Sorry he's being such a pesky pest!

Hahaha, thanks so much KMazzy! :D I did want advice, but I also just wanted to share the cheeky chaps latest story :lol:

I wish I'd had a camera with me when he was chilling by his newest burrow... the look on his face was brilliant, I could almost hear him looking me up and down and saying 'and what are you gunna do about it?!' :lol:
I was too busy freaking out about how near he was to escape to get a camera :p Might have to upload some of him sulking later. It is pretty funny :roll:

Hahaha, thanks so much KMazzy! :D I did want advice, but I also just wanted to share the cheeky chaps latest story :lol:

I wish I'd had a camera with me when he was chilling by his newest burrow... the look on his face was brilliant, I could almost hear him looking me up and down and saying 'and what are you gunna do about it?!' :lol:
I was too busy freaking out about how near he was to escape to get a camera :p Might have to upload some of him sulking later. It is pretty funny :roll:

There can never be enough pics of Foxie!

And I figure I am providing a useful service by making this thread seem exciting so other people come read and hopefully do bring useful garden ideas. :)

There can never be enough pics of Foxie!

And I figure I am providing a useful service by making this thread seem exciting so other people come read and hopefully do bring useful garden ideas. :)

Hahaha, thanks =D Yeah guys, this is exciting! I promise ;)

A moat? a photo of a big fox that is on string that moves around the perimeter of the garden to put him off? have you sat down and explained to him the risks of escaping? Perhaps you need to just set a big tv up in the garden and put a selection of Steve McQueen films on, The Great Escape, Papillion, let him enjoy these, and maybe he will learn that escaping gets you no where, and will give up.

I hope I've been helpful, don't have to thank me.

A moat? a photo of a big fox that is on string that moves around the perimeter of the garden to put him off? have you sat down and explained to him the risks of escaping? Perhaps you need to just set a big tv up in the garden and put a selection of Steve McQueen films on, The Great Escape, Papillion, let him enjoy these, and maybe he will learn that escaping gets you no where, and will give up.

I hope I've been helpful, don't have to thank me.

Hahahahahaha, :lol::lol::lol::lol: Love it!! And the electric fencing idea!!
I think we will have to have a cuddle and watch The Great Escape... although it might just give him ideas about trying out a motorbike jump over the fence. :lol:
He's called Foxie/Foxglove and he looks just like a Fox, so pretty sure if I put up a fox picture he'd just go say hi- if it was a girl fox he'd probably try to slip in some flirting while he was at it, get her number maybe ;)

*Sigh* there is no hope :roll:

Hahahahahaha, :lol::lol::lol::lol: Love it!! And the electric fencing idea!!
I think we will have to have a cuddle and watch The Great Escape... although it might just give him ideas about trying out a motorbike jump over the fence. :lol:
He's called Foxie/Foxglove and he looks just like a Fox, so pretty sure if I put up a fox picture he'd just go say hi- if it was a girl fox he'd probably try to slip in some flirting while he was at it, get her number maybe ;)

*Sigh* there is no hope :roll:

Hahaha, he really does think he's Steve McQueen then!

All I can think about now is tiny rabbit sized motorbikes.
Maybe it's a phase and he will get bored of it? (the escaping, not motor cross)

Back