• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Twisted Back Legs/ Back Injury?

*Spider*

Wise Old Thumper
One of my bunnies Frosty has developed twisted back legs. It could be from a back injury though?
It's difficult because I am at uni and I hardly ever come home and my non bunnysavvy mum is looking after them. She does a brill job but she has not noticed a change in him. He is very mobile, jumping and hopping everywhere normally, eating etc. all fine, but looks dodgey plus I saw him fall onto his bottom a few times?
I decided not to take him home with me as don't want to stress the bunch out (he lives with 4 others and don't want bonding issues). Mum is taking him to the vets on Monday.
Do you guys have an ideas or experience?

Sounds like he needs a Vet today, Monday is 5 days away :cry:

He may have hind leg weakness as a result of either a vertebral collapse, arthritis or even EC. Some Rabbits with relatively advanced arthritic disease can seem to be quite mobile but their movements are 'abnormal' and they have muscle wastage. Sore hocks also become an issue.

But without a full examination it is impossible to say what may be wrong, hence a Vet check today incase it is something serious

Sending vibes for him xx

Back