• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Young, Underweight Female Dutch, With Urinary Track Infection & Diarrhoea

Firstly, again, may I begin by saying 'Hello', and 'Thank you' to any member of 'Rabbits United' who may be reading this post!

Secondly, again, I would like to say 'Thank you' in advance for any time, energy, or effort spent replying to this post!

However, unfortunately, I have found myself here again, as my niece's remaining rabbit has recently been diagnosed with a urinary tract infection, and despite being prescribe antibiotics from the veterinarian, my niece's rabbit has not improved, and appears to have lost condition. . .

Obviously, my niece will be having the rabbit re-examined, but I was wondering whether there is anything else my niece can do?!

Also, I was wondering whether 'Pets at Home' has a legal obligation to pay for veterinary treatment?!

Background: My niece recently purchased two young female Dutch rabbits, from 'Pets at Home', and, tragically, lost one of them a few weeks later, to an unknown cause:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?388923-Discharge-from-Young-Female-Dutch

Was the bunny prescribed painkillers along with antibiotics?
Also how long was the course for?

What does you niece feed the bunny on? there may be changes to the diet that could help depending on why there is a urinary tract problem.
I agree getting back to the vet's is a good idea for another check up.

Not sure about the P@H thing, it's within a certain timeframe I'm sure, so you may just be outwith it depending on when the buns were taken home from there.

Any rabbit with diarrhea needs a vet asap. Even leaving them overnight could be result in death :cry:. It sounds like her vet is not "rabbit savvy". Could you try to find a more rabbit savvy vet for her to visit? Antibiotics with diarrhea could cause more problems to their guts. Perhaps you could post in "rabbit chat" and ask for a rabbit savvy vet in the area where your Niece lives, if you don't know one personally.

I really hope she can get this bun sorted before it's too late. You have been excellent with helping her so far and I'd hate for her to lose another bun. x

Thank you for your replies, Natsusakura, and Vegan_Bunny - Sorry for not replying sooner!

However, at this moment in time, I feel that I should refrain from commenting any further on this case!

However, please be assured that my niece's rabbit is receiving the treatment that she requires, and that I will provide a full update, in due course. . .

I cannot believe that it has been over two months since I began this thread :shock: . . . Nevertheless, I thought that I would provide a quick update on my niece's rabbit's progress!

However, I do not want to bore you with the sequence of events etc. . . I will simply declare that my niece's rabbit has made a full recovery, recently been spayed, and is very content. . . Although, I am still trying to persuade my niece that her rabbit would be much happier if she were to adopt a nice neutered male rabbit! :D

Once again, thank you for your replies, and help - I am so relieved! :thumb:

I cannot believe that it has been over two months since I began this thread :shock: . . . Nevertheless, I thought that I would provide a quick update on my niece's rabbit's progress!

However, I do not want to bore you with the sequence of events etc. . . I will simply declare that my niece's rabbit has made a full recovery, recently been spayed, and is very content. . . Although, I am still trying to persuade my niece that her rabbit would be much happier if she were to adopt a nice neutered male rabbit! :D

Once again, thank you for your replies, and help - I am so relieved! :thumb:

Brilliant! It's nice to have a happy update. x

If I am honest, when I saw my niece's rabbit, I was absolutely mortified by the rabbit's condition - The rabbit was severely underweight, and undersized! Nevertheless, I did offer to bring the rabbit home with me, but my niece declined!

However, my niece was required to visit the store where she purchased the rabbits, to discuss the situation with the manager - Of course, I offered to/ insisted that I accompany her. . . As requested by the manager, my niece brought the remaining rabbit with her - The manager was clearly shocked by the rabbit's condition, and realised that the rabbit required immediate veterinary care!

Therefore, after a brief discussion, a plan was agreed, and my niece was able to ensure that the rabbit received the care it required!

However, I have told my niece to consider insurance. . . Alternatively, should the rabbit require treatment in the future, to discuss a payment plan with her veterinarian - I have offered to act as a guarantor, should needs be, and depending on cost of treatment!

Great to hear of a positive outcome. Well done for supporting your niece's rabbit. Hope she does get a friend from a rescue ...

Back