• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How poisonous is chocolate?!

Delta

Warren Scout
Oh my God you would think we never fed this rabbit. She's just climbed the bookcase and gotten a box of roses down and has taken a huge chunk of chocolate covered toffee. Will she be ok or should I take her to the vets now?!
Please say she'll be ok x

My bunny Parsley manged to get into a whole bag of sweets and chocolate while we were out, and his pellets as well.
He spent a day or so being a bit grumpy as he had a sore tummy from eating so much.
I kept an eye on him to make sure he was eating and pooing etc.

I did pop to the vet's the next day, just to get some gut stimulant just in case with some painkillers.
He ended up being fine :) He has an iron stomach that one, he ate my wheat bag too wee rascal :roll:

They always seem to want in at what's bad for them :lol:

I learned to keep everything that Parsley would perceive as edible well out of reach, including important mail and documents :lol:

I know that chocolate can cause kidney problems in dogs, which is why sometimes people think their dog is fine after eating it but it an underlying problem. Not sure how it affects rabbits though, maybe call your vet? Our dog was put on fluids after eating chocolate to help flush it out so maybe try to encourage bunny to drink as much as possible, maybe add a bit of juice to the water bowl?

I'm sure she'll be fine! I remeber reading a story where someone's rabbit got a hold of a huge wad of chocolate, like 2 pounds or somthing and the rabbit was fine.

It's fairly poisonous but she has eaten a minuscule amount - the chocolate on roses is mostly milk and vegetable fat. If she'd eaten a bar of 80% dark or something then you might need to worry but I think she'll be ok :) One of mine ate half a Twirl once with no consequences (although I don't recommend it!)

Back