• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - Little

Schtoffen

Mama Doe
Guys, this may be nothing but Ive just brought buns in from the garden (third ever trip outside) and Little keeps doing full on stretching out and dbf.....seems to be breathing quite heavily.

Could this just be the stress of spending an hour in the garden with Ted? She was eating grass and pooing normal poos in garden and has given the snacks I've offered. Currently laying flat and licking her front paws. OH says I'm being over sensitive! :oops::(

Has she been running around in the garden ?

How long has her respiratory rate been elevated ?

Not really running, but hopping around in the litter enclosure. She seemed fine when I first brought her in and then about 5 mins later when I walked into the hall she did a mad panicy bunny run and stampy feet (she does this randomly from time to time). She's been doing the lying down since.

Breathing now at about once a second, lying flat, head on floor (unusual).

Not really running, but hopping around in the litter enclosure. She seemed fine when I first brought her in and then about 5 mins later when I walked into the hall she did a mad panicy bunny run and stampy feet (she does this randomly from time to time). She's been doing the lying down since.

Breathing now at about once a second, lying flat, head on floor (unusual).

She also pulled some bits out the bin and ran off with them (normal). Oh god, I did SO well not having a panic attack earlier in the day about something else, and now I've got it in my head she might be sick I am physically shaking!!! :(:(

Without being able to see her it's hard to give advice

What you describe re the 'flopping' and fast breathing could indicate abdominal pain

It could be just that she is too hot

The sudden 'panic and thump' could be a response to being stung and then the flopping and fast breathing because of the pain it is causing

If her ears feel very warm then try damping them with cool water, do the back of her neck too.

If she does not return to her normal self within the next hour or if she seems to be getting worse I'd contact a Vet for advice

I have to go off-line now, but I hope that she will be OK xx

Without being able to see her it's hard to give advice

What you describe re the 'flopping' and fast breathing could indicate abdominal pain

It could be just that she is too hot

The sudden 'panic and thump' could be a response to being stung and then the flopping and fast breathing because of the pain it is causing

If her ears feel very warm then try damping them with cool water, do the back of her neck too.

If she does not return to her normal self within the next hour or if she seems to be getting worse I'd contact a Vet for advice

I have to go off-line now, but I hope that she will be OK xx

Thanks Jane, you're always such a help *hugs*

has she eaten much grass?
It may be that if she's not used to it it's caused a bit of an upset.

But I do agree with Jane she may just be too hot, my cousin's bunny was not a happy wee guy earlier as he was too hot.

Cold flannel wiping her ears and she'll feel better :)
xxxx

How is Little this morning ?

Thanks for asking. Typically she's fine. Eating, pooing, generally bunning. I think you might be right, coming inside after an hour in the evening air might have been a temperature shift too far. I would bathe her ears but she won't let me, she just bounces off. I try leaving frozen bottles about but she ignores them.

I think it's a combination of my nerves being in shreds atm and her generally erratic behaviour. :roll:

Thanks for your input guys, means a lot knowing you're here.

Back