• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit drinking a lot of water compared to before.

Hi I have a 5 year old dutch which fully recovered from GI stasis about 2-3 weeks ago. He is back to his former binkying self and always eager to eat his pellets and hay. :)

However since about 10 days ago I realised a change in his drinking habit. I got him a 600ml water bottle which did use to last about 6-7 days before a refill is needed. Now the amount he drinks has doubled to about 200 - 250ml a day so he needs a refill once every 2-3 days and his litter tray is a lot wetter compared to what it use to be (obviously due to the excessive drinking).

At first I thought it was due to the temps but then I have other rabbits and their drinking hasn't changed at all and only needs a refill about 6-7 days as well. Now I'm worried that his kidneys may have problems. However his drinking is the only thing that has changed, he is still eating the same and playing/binkying the same.

I have the vets booked but its not until a couple of days later. I have also read that if it really is the kidney, their is not a lot that can be done about it. Is this true?

I'm hoping nothing will happen but in the worst case scenario that the kidneys really does have problems then the ultimate question is can my rabbit still live a happy and long life that any other healthy dutches can live up to?

I'm only guessing that it may be kidney problems as the vet isn't until a few days later but can anything else lead to the description above? Is their anything I need to look at for?

I'm really worried right now as this is certainly not normal for him. :(

It could be kidney problems. I would advise you to get his appointment bought forward

If it is renal failure then whilst that cannot be cured there are treatments which can buy the Rabbit more good quality time.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Acute_RenalLagomorph.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/ChronicRenalLagomorph.htm

One cause of renal failure in Rabbits is Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC).

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...N3ISKU&sig=AHIEtbR1V0Bkgl46nxoM3IZVX7iM5Uaz_Q

This could potentially effect all your other Rabbits so it is very important to seek Veterinary attention ASAP.

Good Luck

Back