• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Think my 11 year old male rabbit has an abcess behind his eye

Stewy

Young Bun
Hi there,

Im new to the forum and was looking for some helpful advice. My rabbit has had dental problems his whole life. He used to have to go under and get his teeth filed. However a couple of years ago a problem tooth was loose and removed and he never needed any more dental treatment.

However, as of late. He developed snuffles. He was really ill with it, his breathing was really heavy and his heart rate was slow. I managed to nurse him back to health with some tlc , syringe feeding him until he got his appetite back and also through the use of baytril and metacam from my vet.

He is still on baytril just now for the snuffles.

Then, yesterday i noticed his left eye was bulging so i took him to the emergency vet. At first he didn't think it looked so bad. Then after further examination feared it might be an abcess behind the eye. He gave him an injection of ultrapen la and said he will do this again in two days. I'm really worried about my wee rabbit as the vet spoke of cases of eye removal.

He was doing well too after the snuffles and was back to eating and drinking after his snuffles too.

I think if it is an abcess its coming from his teeth. The vet also commented on one side of his face looking less fuller than the other. He mentioned something like pro alisis not entirely sure though. He also commented that he thought my rabbit may be blind in that eye as t wasnt reacting to him. His eye has been leaking due to the snuffles but the bulging of his eye has came on all of a sudden.

Would or could the ultrapen injections help cure the abcess possibly behind his eye? Or would it only help for a short time.

I don't know what else to do for the best of my wee bunny. I am going to the vets tomorrow for his 2nd injection of ultrapen and would be grateful of some advice I could raise with my vet. I am going to ask him what options he feels are suitable for my wee bun to try and treat the abcess. If thats what is causing the bulging. I am also frightened if he needs a GA that he wouldnt pull through due to his age.

I am worried sick about him but he's always been a fighter. Just as he was doing so well this happens. I really don't want to give up on him as I love him to pieces. I wish I could just make him better.

Hi,

I am sorry that I cant help with the symptoms /treatment - although I am sure there will be someone on this wonderful site who can - but Ijust wanted to send positive vibes to your special boy. My oldest rabbit is 8 and its fills me with such joy to see older rabbits mentioned on here! :) :love:

I hope you can get him sorted! Keep us posted.

Take care Jane xx

thanks Jane

I will update the thread once I've been to the vets tomorrow and let you's know what happened.

I keep thinking of the worst scenarios which isn't helping me. I guess that's why I am looking for advice.

When i tell people he is 11 they always say that's a great age for a rabbit. 11 years ago I had 5 rabbits together now he's the only one left.

Stewart xx

Bumping this up for you - so many posts happen on here meaning that posts can get low down the list quite quickly.

Hiya

I'm sorry sorry that your brave little bunny is going through such a hard time.

I can't advise but am bumping this for you.

Best of luck at the vet xx

He's probably going to need an xray for the vet to be able to tell exactly what's going on. They might be able to do that with just a little sedation depending how relaxed he is.

Given the age of your Bunny I would opt for continuing with the Penicillin injections and ask the Vet about adding another antibiotic called Metronidazole (AKA Flagyl) too. Also Metacam, a non steroidal anti-inflammatory. Whilst this wont 'cure' the abscess (if that is what it is) then it may contain it and buy your Rabbit a bit more good quality time. His intraocular pressure will also need checking. If he has Glaucoma this will need treating too (eye drops to lower intraocular pressure)

I would not consider surgery to remove the eye as the risks would be huge, the post operative pain significant and the infection may also be effecting his lungs (given his recent respiratory tract problems), not a good combination for a GA. Sometimes, whilst invasive surgical procedures may be technically possible it is not always right to proceed with them. But only you and your Vet are in a position to make that judgement for your Rabbit.

Good luck

I second asking the vet to check the pressure in his eye, as a sign of glaucoma. I've got a 10 years old bunny just diagnosed with glaucoma, although she has cataracts too.

Hope you get it sorted.

Hi again

Thanks for your replies.

Took my bun to the vets today snd he was given his2nd injection of ultrapen la and was also given an injection of dimazon sol as the vet felt he was agiven bit chesty again.

The vet said she would not put him under GA with his breathing the way it is just now and that makes it hard to diagnose exactly what it is. She mentioned the possibilty of a tumour which has worried me.

I feel really down and sorry for my bunny. I just wish he was better. Weve to go back for another ultrapen injection in two days.

Ive read stories that penicillin has helped rabbits in the same situation and i am hoping my wee boy gets better this way. But i aplways fear the worst.

Thanks for your vibes guys greatly appreciated

Poor little fella. I hope the meds are helping him to cope.

Lots of vibes for him and hugs for you x

Sorry you are still worried - when do we not!?!? - hope that the meds help in some way for him though.
Keep us posted on his progress.

Thanks everyone

I really appreciate your caring comments.

The swelling has went down a little bit , but can still see his eye is bulged out.

He's to get his 3rd ultrapen injection 2moro. He seems pretty calm just now and his breathing has went back to being a bit quiet. he still has little spells of sneezing as i think he isn't fully over the snuffles.

I have been giving him some eye drops along with his meds to see if it helped him. They were ones prescribed a couple of weeks ago that I still had some of left.

When I put a drop in his eye I noticed something coming out in his eye. To me it looked like a seed from his food or a bit of hay. But i do not know for sure. I was concerned that it might go back under and into his eye so I used the back of my knuckle to swipe it out of his eye. When it was in my hand it looked a bit like snot. I have no idea what it might have been. I hope i did the right thing getting it out.

I also noticed when i was lying gazing at him that his eye looks like it has a film over it. I will raise this with the vet 2moro.
The vet seemed to think he might be blind in that eye when he looked at it the other day.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks again for your vibes guys :)

Hiya

Don't know how to help but please keep up the posts on his progress.

Sending vibes for him and hugs for you xxxxx

Perhaps it is the abscess draining? I honestly do not know what it could be that you got from his eye.

Could you ask your vet about metacam/loxicom? I am not sure if he can have it alongside the other drugs he is on, but he must be in some discomfort and the metacam is a painkiller as well as anti-inflammatory.

Sending him lots of vibes. x

Hi again guys

Just another update

Fawny got his 3rd injection of ultrapren today.

Hes had 3 different vets see him. But they have all followed the instructions of the first vet.
The vet who saw him originally will see him on monday.

Todays vet didnt seem to optomistic for him. She was a luvly vet witha realistic and caring view.

I took a photo to show her of the thing that was on his eye that i removed. She said she couldnt tell what it was from the photo.

I am still really worried about my boy

One thing i have noticed is the bulging is going down gradually. Im hoping this is due to the ulrrapen injections. I am on my mobile just now and but if im online later i will try upload the pic of the thing in his eye that i removed.

The fact hes still here proves hes a fighter.

I am just a bit down with todays vets view on matters.

I will keep yous updated guys. Thanks again from me n my wee boy x

Hi Rabcat

Hes ok thanks pretty much the same. A put a wee update on earlier

The bulging has went down a bit

His nose seems a bit snuffley again

Hes still eating bits n bobs esp his brocolli hes also been eating that recovery powder something he wud never touch in the past

Im just trying to keep his strength up and hoping for a miracle

Just seen this thread. I have no experience of this so sorry can't give any advice, but sending lots of vibes for your bunny and hope he gets better very soon.

Back