• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Frustrations :(

DwarfBuns

Warren Scout
I've been considering bonding Niles more & more over the last few weeks. It's been over a month since Frasier passed away & Niles still seems in good spirits, but he just looks so bored in his cage. He will happily have playtime in the lounge, but gets grumpy if I put him in his run & sometimes won't play, but will just sit & watch.

Because of this, I've been thinking that maybe he would be happier with a wifey. But I can't find a suitable bun friend! It's so frustrating! I thought I found one a few months ago, a dwarf female, around the same age but she was swept out from under me! Despite me telling the rescue centre to get in touch as soon as a bun matching what we needed came in (And they agreed to!). I saw the bun appear on a FB group, immediately got in touch with the rescue & she'd already been rehomed!

How can I find a female dwarf around 5 years old? Niles can be rather grumpy, especially lately! I'm a bit concerned that he might not take kindly to another bun in his cage? I was planning to attempt bonding in the run, but not sure if that would even work now as he suddenly hates it! Obviously he has more room for playing when not in the run.. I only put him in there yesterday while I was tired & couldn't keep a proper eye on him, but didn't want to put him back in his cage.

Any thoughts? :(

My first thought is widen your criteria! Loads of bunnies waiting to be rescued. Maybe a wider age range and not necessarily a dwarf rabbit perhaps.

For bonding, you will need, initially, a very small neutral space :)

My first thought is widen your criteria! Loads of bunnies waiting to be rescued. Maybe a wider age range and not necessarily a dwarf rabbit perhaps.

For bonding, you will need, initially, a very small neutral space :)

I don't mind going for older, or maybe a year younger. I'm really only bonding for him. It's not that I don't want another rabbit, it's just if I didn't have Niles then I probably wouldn't consider them again. I love my rabbits so much & that's part of the problem.. It was just heartbreaking to lose Frasier, especially so young, to GI stasis. I dread to think how I'll be when Niles passes.. But I don't want to go through a never ending cycle of having to rebond them everytime one passes, iykwim?

There are some lovely buns at our local RSPCA, but I would really prefer to have another small one. Preferably one that prefers bun companionship over human companionship - like Niles, and like Frasier was. I don't want one that will be looking to me for hugs all the time & leaves Niles feeling frustrated & left out. I mean, I am a rescue centres dream! Lol. I want the difficult rabbit! I'm used to handling those that hate to be handled!

So far all I can find are babies, and Niles isn't old.. But 5 years is a big difference!

Hi, have you looked on rabbit rehome? Or on here on rabbits in need? Hope you find somebunny for niles soon.

Hiya, have u looked on acomb rabbit rescue fb page ? I got my rabbit rufus from there a few weeks ago, its based in York. Im not sure who she has in the rescue at the moment but might be worth keeping an eye on x

Back