• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio have had a fight again :(

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Woke up just now (yes I know it's late, I'm not feeling well) to my girls scrapping. Chunks of fur everywhere. Checked Mini out, fine. Took Nutmeg out to check her over, she seems fine. Put Nutmeg back and they started again. :( Mini seemed to be trying to hump Nutmeg. I've put them all in the spare room which is about half the size of my room and gave them some fresh hay which is distracting Mini and Smudge but Nutmeg is hiding under the chair.

We went to the vets yesterday because Nutmeg's breathing still isn't right and to check her wound from last time :roll: This is the only thing I can think that could've triggered it because the carrier is still on the floor so I can nebulise Nutmeg. But that is covered in it's home-and-badly-made fleece cover now which I took off and left here for the vets. I guess Nutmeg feeling under the weather doesn't help but Mini also has a sticky bum this morning (great fun as it's now all over me and the duvet cover where I split them up *sigh*).

I don't know what to do, I hate this. I can't bear to leave them now and I have so much to do now. Everywhere is a tip and I haven't even started Nutmeg's meds yet. They've been so good as well.

Oh you poor thing - just as your not well either. :(

Take a deep breath, get a cuppa and then see if there is a logical way to start.

Is there anything on your to do list that can wait until tomorrow so that you can focus on the buns first and rest yourself?

Hope you feel better soon x

I don't know where to start. I guess first thing is sorting Nutmeg's meds but to do that I have to take Nutmeg out. I'm really hoping this is like last time and they're fine afterwards. Just wish I knew what triggered it.

They can be so funny like this cant they. Mine seem okay for ages and then fall out and it leaves you at a loss as to how to stop them. I hate it when they fight. :(

I think starting with the meds is a good idea and then maybe try to distract them with something tasty when you put Nutmeg back in. I often rely on treats to stop my girl bunny from menacing her brother - it may not be the best idea but it does work for her.

xx

They haven't had their breakfast yet so I can give them that, will have to handfeed though as Smudge gets overexcited at food time. :roll:

Thank you!

Awww hugs to you Elena.... I daresay things always seem worse when you are feeling so unwell yourself...

I dont know what to suggest, just wanted to offer you some moral support....

Fee xx

They haven't had their breakfast yet so I can give them that, will have to handfeed though as Smudge gets overexcited at food time. :roll:

Thank you!

Yay!! Great idea - food is good!!!! :D

Hope you feel better soon and that your little trio start to behave now x

Oh no what a nightmare for you. I thought they were a happy trio. I guess fights will always occur sometimes.

Lots of hugs for you, hope you feel better and they are get on and on the mend health wise.

The amount of days I have taken off work to make sure Doughnut is OK is ridiculous, I couldn't cope with any other buns. Just forget about the house work your buns and your health is more important. It will still be there at the weekend!

I nebulised Meg while I cleaned. Amazing what you can do in 20 minutes! Have hoovered, mopped and changed litter tray! Then gave them their breakfast by the nebuliser which was still spouting out some steam so they all smell of that and moved the carrier away. They seem better now, mini just went up to meg without incident. Phew! Meg is still a bit wary of the others still but that's pretty usual for Meg after anything.

No idea what kicks this off but they fortunately seem to go back to normal pretty quick. Going to keep them in my room for a few days.

I have to go out in an hour and I'm still covered in sludgy Mini cecals. Urgh. Will have to get someone to watch them while i have a bath.

Long may it continue!

Yes have a nice relaxation in the bath, maybe a glass of wine too. Sounds like you deserve it.

I've had issues with my trio too with one of my girls bullying the other the last few weeks. They had a big fight on Monday resulting in a vet trip (thankfully both ok).

I know exactly what triggered their fight, but I have been wondering if the changes in the weather are affecting their moods/behaviour. None are much interested in pellets just now, I wonder if its too hot?

I hope they have calmed down a bit now. Its so frustrating and so stressful when you have to go out and leave them alone, there is just no easy answer. Fingers crossed Mini and Nutmeg have licked and made-up for now!

I dont know but Willow has been chasing Smudge the last few days.... You cold be right about the weather, perhaps the heat is making them grouchy and intolerant

Good luck, hope it improves

I've had issues with my trio too with one of my girls bullying the other the last few weeks. They had a big fight on Monday resulting in a vet trip (thankfully both ok).

I know exactly what triggered their fight, but I have been wondering if the changes in the weather are affecting their moods/behaviour. None are much interested in pellets just now, I wonder if its too hot?

I hope they have calmed down a bit now. Its so frustrating and so stressful when you have to go out and leave them alone, there is just no easy answer. Fingers crossed Mini and Nutmeg have licked and made-up for now!

I did wonder if that was affecting Nutmeg's breathing but didn't consider it might be upsetting them all. I've put the ceiling fan on today to try to cool it down in here a bit. I have icepods but I don't think they're in the freezer :oops: and I find they don't use them very much :roll:

Hope your girls are ok.

I hope you and your buns feel better and more settled soon.

I had my first experience of the aftermath of a fight this morning and now feel horribly guilty about going out and leaving them.

Plus everything always happens all at once, if you feel poorly that's the time a load of other problems will crop up.

I hope you and your buns feel better and more settled soon.

I had my first experience of the aftermath of a fight this morning and now feel horribly guilty about going out and leaving them.

Plus everything always happens all at once, if you feel poorly that's the time a load of other problems will crop up.

They do pick their moments!!

Don't feel guilty, can't spend your entire life watching them! Hope they're all ok.

Hiya

I hope you are feeling better today and that you trio are still being friends x

Nutmeg was running away from Mini this morning and thumping, she still doesn't trust her after the fight but at least they aren't actually fighting. I've bought another litter tray in because at the moment a lot of the time she jumps out if Mini or Smudge jump in. So hopefully she'll sit in the other one and will be near them but not in the same box as them. It seemed to work last time.

They do pick their moments!!
Don't feel guilty, can't spend your entire life watching them! Hope they're all ok.

I think they'll be fine - it's just me who's overreacting. I've only had Ren 20 days and until I got her I didn't realise how unlike normal rabbits Jaffa is! And seeing him all tufty this morning made me feel awful.

Although rabbit fur is one of those things that seems worse than it is - like it seemed like there was LOADS of fur out but really it's probably a tiny fraction of what they have naturally moulted. But my babies!!!!!! *frets* I don't think I should ever have children. I'd be a wreck.

Quick update,

There have been no more fights, thank goodness but Nutmeg is quite wary of the other two, especially Mini. Though she's gradually starting to trust her again, they've been sharing the trays a bit which is improvement!

I ordered some F10 and Dad got out the other carrier for me. I haven't been using it because my friend borrowed it for her cat when he had his neuter and I wanted to throroughly disinfect it first and hadn't got round to ordering the stuff. So now the pink carrier will be solely for use with the nebuliser and will remain in their room all the time. The orange carrier which is now disinfected will be for the vets and will be out of their reach.

I've been moving the pink carrier (with blue blanket cover :lol:) out of their reach when not in use but last night I left it on the floor to see how they get on and they've been ok so I think I'm safe leaving it there now. I shut the door to the carrier all the time anyway because Smudge goes in there and moves the blankets and wees :roll:. I'm hoping in a few days I can take the baby gate down and let them back in the hallway and spare room (currently drying bramble leaves in there anyway, though Smudge knows this and keeps escaping to have a cheeky nibble :lol:)

Back