• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do rabbits do the 'Bunny Bum Twitch'?

Kavanne

Mama Doe
Well?? I notice it in all my buns when they eat their absolute favourite thing...

My husband has postulated it is a suppressed binky because they are so happy but they want to keep eating?

Why do you think they do it??

Answers on a postcard to....

I would love to know the answer to this too! Some of mine do it when they are eating their favourite food and one of them does it while eating her own cecals! :lol:

None of my previous six bunnies did this, but Ailise does it! It's most pronounced when eating bananas. :lol: I'd love to know why!

AMETHYST

I can only add my theory. I think it might be a mild form of cataplexy. I have seen videos of goats becoming dystonic when they are excited and a dog that slowly 'collapsed' from the rear when he was eating some food.

So my two penneth with absolutely zero empirical evidence is that it is a mild cataplexic state! But it is cute. I will try and get some video of our little Teddy with his flank twitching.

I didn't realise this was something all bunnies do! Bumble does it when she eats pellets or vegetables it doesn't have to be any particular food but then again she gets very excited at all food. I actually wondered if there was something wrong! I didn't know it was normal!

It's interesting how a lot of people say theirs do it with certain foods. Bumble does it all the time when she eats apart from maybe hay

Pickles only does it when he's being norty, and knows it. It's usually followed by a norty binky. He's never done it when eating banana though, or anything else for that matter.

Back