• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hay vs straw

liv862

Warren Scout
Of my three buns my two boys are great at eating hay, totally love it and eat loads every day. But Maisy, my mummy bun has always had issues with hay. the people that had her before me had no idea about bunnies and she had clearly never even seen hay before, so i struggled for months trying to trick her into eating it.

This week as I have moved house and the buns are now outside I put loads of straw in their hutches to keep them cosy for the transition, I have never bothered with straw before as i was so worried bout her eating hay. but wen i gave her the straw she responded to it with the same excitement as wen the boys eat hay, and she ate loads of it!!! Im still trying to get her to eat hay - i know its no replacement - she probably eats about half of what she should per day, but im wondering if I should be less worried about it now shes eating straw too?

at the end of the day its all fibre right? or is it bad that shes eating it?

thanks in advance,

liv xxx

Straw will help her teeth but it doesn't have the same nutrients that hay has. Could you maybe try a really stalky hay?

Unfortunately straw does not really have any nutritional value.

Hayforpets Timothy & Rye hay is quite straw like and is nice stuff. I could't recommend Hayforpets INGS hay enough; it is just fab hay all round, Nice long strands , Fresh and it smells absolutely delicious! I just got a bale of 9.5kg of INGS delivered last week and its the best hay I have ever purchased and the bunnies go mad for it.

aww thanks hun, buns seem soooo much happier in their new palace - will be posting pictures soon as i locate the camera cable amongst all the boxes :lol:

Back