• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foraging near roads

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
What are your opinions on this? Is it a flat out no, or does it depend on the type of road/how busy it is? Would you forage near a road if the forage was a certain distance away from the road? Do you feed forage from any where, do you wash it first?

I can't decide what to do :oops: I have seen loads of hawthorn and nettles here, all near roads but some are smaller country roads, some are 30mph roads and have a path between the road and forage, some are in industrial estates and some are near duel carriage ways/60mph roads (which is too dangerous imo)

If it is a wee country road and you can take something from the other side of the bush then I would say that is OK, like in the field side. I personally wouldnt take something that was rigth at the road.

I'd never get it from a dual carriageway or any busy roads myself. Country lanes I think it depends. Personally I don't pick from verges on any roads, regardless of how close or far away it is...but I'm quite careful with that anyway - other people probably do but I wouldn't. I just get it from the garage, rinse it in a sieve with cold water and then either feed it fresh or dry it :)

I think I'm going to take some from as far away from the path as possible, it's probably about 10ft from the road anyway :)

I don't forage anywhere where things may have been treated and the like.

I only feel safe on my river bank now :oops:

Trouble with foraging at the roadside is that you often see the local councils out spraying weeds in order to keep the vegetation down for road safety purposes. If it was far enough away from the kerb AND it was a quiet backroad/lane then I'd think about it.

they only mow the grass around here (either that or the weed spray isn't doing any good :lol:) as it's around trees and there's a path separating the road and the grass they just don't bother. That said I may go for a drive around the country lanes today and see if I can find any laybys near decent forage

I'm lucky in that I have an organic fruit/veg farm a few miles from me. They don't mind me going there are foraging their lush grass, plantain, deadnettle etc from between their fruit bushes. They have a lot of hawthorne windbreaks, so take my secateurs for that!

I'm always worried about foraging near roads, not only because of traffic fumes - but in case dogwalkers have been there and their dogs have had a pee!

I have foraged dandelions from roads in our village, especially in winter when they were hard to find.

I'd forage from a fair distance in from a quiet country road, no way would I forage from near a busy road or a dual carriageway.

:wave:

Back