• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Hutches Under 6x2x2ft

Daniel

Alpha Buck
Doing research here as I am trying to find out what people think of the following:

Indoor hutches around 4x2x2ft and up to whatever size but they have no doors on, just a doorway.

I know that 6x2x2ft is the bare minimum and I support that 100% and do not create hutches under that size and create many more bigger, much bigger but I am trying to find out if it would be acceptable to create indoors hutches smaller than that but without any doors on.

That way the rabbits can not be locked in it and would the size matter for free ranging or contained within an indoor run?

Hi
Sorry, can't really help because I only have outdoor buns. If it was just used for a shelter in a large area/indoor run I wouldn't think the size would mattter. They may even prefer it smaller to be more cosy?

Doing research here as I am trying to find out what people think of the following:

Indoor hutches around 4x2x2ft and up to whatever size but they have no doors on, just a doorway.

I know that 6x2x2ft is the bare minimum and I support that 100% and do not create hutches under that size and create many more bigger, much bigger but I am trying to find out if it would be acceptable to create indoors hutches smaller than that but without any doors on.

That way the rabbits can not be locked in it and would the size matter for free ranging or contained within an indoor run?

My indoor buns have a cage around this size but I've taken the doors off, good idea :thumb:

Do you mean just as a base?
I think the size would be ok, but I'm not sure that a tradiational 'hutch' would be my preference for indoors as they really just need somewhere to sit that they identify as 'theirs' and somewhere to put their food/water/litter tray - I don't know what purpose a hutch would serve? Perhaps if it could incorporate storage then I could see it. We currently use an Ikea kids' storage cabinet with drawers for hay, megazorb, newspaper, cleaning/grooming products, snacks, toys etc. One like this - we've made it so the buns can get up onto the different levels too:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49819508/

Hiya :wave:

I've been looking at what could be put inside a shed/kennel for buns to sleep in and was considering a 4 ft hutch without doors to be used for sleeping or whatever they would like to do in it.

I found that searching for this as a hutch actually disturbed me as it struck home that people actually use this as "the hutch" for their buns :(

Now, if I had come across something of this size or so that said "bunny bedroom for shed" for example I would have been really pleased that such a thing existed. As long as they could lay out in it to sleep and not be cramped then I think it would be fine.

Could just be me being a bit daft but I hope everyone gets what I mean.

I have a double 4 ft hutch for my indoor rabbit. I use it as you would a dog crate and it has a permanent pen attached plus he gets free range time. He gets shut in when I Hoover his pen, so once a week for 3mins at a time. One of the bottom doors opens as a ramp with hinges on the bottom, this is always open and he loves dashing in and out.

I find it contains mess much better being solid and is much more attractive as I've painted it a lovely colour.

Yes. Good idea. I think that a 4 foot hutch with no doors would be a great cosy indoor space. I bought a 6 foot plastic based cage (over 100.00) which they loved but they also liked to sit underneath a set of wooden shelves, which would be similar to a hutch. I wish other hutch/rabbit housing designers would come on to this forum. Good on you. :wave:

Mt 2 live in our outhouse, but they had a 4ft cage and the doors were always open. I soon got rid of it though as it just got in the way and was too small for them to be shut in for any length of time x

Just as a base, that size would be fine.

But, I personally don't bother with a cage for a base, Louie just has his littertray and food in the kitchen.

George and Gemma have a dog crate as their base - they really love having somewhere that is 'theirs' and although the door is almost always open (I close it sometimes when I vaccuum the kitchen as Gemma insists on nomming the cable) they are often found in their crate curled up in their litter tray or by the side of it.

A hutch would be a nice idea as they could climb on top of that which they can't do with the crate. I know some clever people put levels in their crates but I am not that practical.

I use an outdoor hutch indoors as a base too, we just leave the mesh long door open.

It's very useful we can use the roof to store things and I liek the fact that the smaller door stays shut and keeps poop and wee in (he uses that bit as a litter tray).

I also find it easier to clean as it's on legs and I clean from a chair height as I'm disabled.

It doesn't look great but the room's not very tidy anyway! He doesn't mind and neither do I :lol:

So in answer to your question, no, it makes no difference if there's no door because it's just a base. Ludo freeranges in a room much bigger and often hops around a whole floor of a big house anyway!

If it's a box to hide/sleep in whilst free ranging then I wouldn't bother making it 4'x2' that's a big space to find in a house and way more space than a rabbit needs to nap in. Something like 2'x18" would be better.

If it's a cage/hutch aka anything a rabbits going to be shut into then it needs to be 6x2 or 4x3.

Just like to thank those who took the time to reply.

Hiya :wave:

I've been looking at what could be put inside a shed/kennel for buns to sleep in and was considering a 4 ft hutch without doors to be used for sleeping or whatever they would like to do in it.

I found that searching for this as a hutch actually disturbed me as it struck home that people actually use this as "the hutch" for their buns :(

Now, if I had come across something of this size or so that said "bunny bedroom for shed" for example I would have been really pleased that such a thing existed. As long as they could lay out in it to sleep and not be cramped then I think it would be fine.

Could just be me being a bit daft but I hope everyone gets what I mean.

The reason i am asking is i was doing this order for someone:

9084397592_4a17d7747a.jpg

9084397772_fc52851289.jpg

And it made me think about indoor hutches, if i take the doors off and create something like the above but without felt on with a flat roof.
Create some indoor runs to contain the rabbits inside and this gives a different option to dog crates and the alike.

Just like to thank those who took the time to reply.

The reason i am asking is i was doing this order for someone:

9084397592_4a17d7747a.jpg

9084397772_fc52851289.jpg

And it made me think about indoor hutches, if i take the doors off and create something like the above but without felt on with a flat roof.
Create some indoor runs to contain the rabbits inside and this gives a different option to dog crates and the alike.

I like this - it would make a great hidy hole type thing. A flat roof would be a great idea too.

I think it would certainly fit in with my kennel idea. :D

By the way Daniel do you have any images of your rabbit housing sheds/kennels?

You have some brilliant bunny things on your website! :thumb:

By the way Daniel do you have any images of your rabbit housing sheds/kennels?

You have some brilliant bunny things on your website! :thumb:

I'm sorry i don't currently have any pictures of my sheds or kennels and this is something i wish to change soon.

Back