• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewing is becoming a problem now...:UD Post#7 really need help

Automaton539

Warren Scout
How do I get them to stop bloody chewing something. Look at my poor sofa
20130618_071208_zps2e3442ab.jpg

And that's not even the worst part. That's just the visible bit.

Last edited:
Chewing is natural rabbit behaviour so ... provide something that they can chew such as cardboard boxes, apple branches, willow and lots of hay. Also a dig box (newspaper all scrunched up in a box) gives them another way to express natural behaviour. Mine had a go at the sofa when they were indoors but once they had cardboard boxes the sofa was left in peace. (Although they did make a small hole in the side so that they could hide inside it)!

Chewing is natural rabbit behaviour so ... provide something that they can chew such as cardboard boxes, apple branches, willow and lots of hay. Also a dig box (newspaper all scrunched up in a box) gives them another way to express natural behaviour. Mine had a go at the sofa when they were indoors but once they had cardboard boxes the sofa was left in peace. (Although they did make a small hole in the side so that they could hide inside it)!

They have a chew, a tug of war rope, two rings, some apple twigs hanging from the table and a cardboard box, along with hay.

You won't. Kiss goodbye to your sofa.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Don't say that! I might have to pay for the next one!!!

Lol, I love preowned stuff, can often get it ridiculously cheap or free. Yes, I was being a cheapskate, but it was my first place when I left my parents, I needed everything. haha.

Ok... This is getting out of hand... This morning I woke up to a bunny shaped hole and stuffing everywhere... Had to sew up the cushion even though I was already late for work. I can't afford a new sofa, not yet. I REALLY need a way to stop them chewing certain objects.

Looks like your going to have to restrict the access area a bit to protect your stuff or turn the house into a giant hutch!

How about a pen for when you are not there with lots of chew stuff and a digging box for when you are out and then free range when you are in to supervise?

I was thinking that myself. The only problem is at the moment I'm out more than I'm in because of work so they would spend more time confined that free. :-(

I was thinking that myself. The only problem is at the moment I'm out more than I'm in because of work so they would spend more time confined that free. :-(

If the pen area is spacious enough it shouldnt be too much of a problem. Two of mine have half the kitchen - split by NIC panels - while I'm out and then I let them have the run of the house when I come home. The space is around 4 ft by 6 ft and they happily hop around in there.

Think it's definitely time to have them spayed. Maybe that will calm her down and end the chewing. If not it's time to get some wood and turn the fence into a large cage.

Think it's definitely time to have them spayed. Maybe that will calm her down and end the chewing. If not it's time to get some wood and turn the fence into a large cage.

Chewing was a major thing for my rabbit before she was spayed. She compulsively chewed the carpet, non stop. It stopped almost completely the day we had her spayed. She still likes to chew things but is content with cardboard boxes and toilet roll tubes filled with grass and dandelions and it's not obsessive anymore. I'd definitely get your rabbit spayed.

They have a chew, a tug of war rope, two rings, some apple twigs hanging from the table and a cardboard box, along with hay.

they are rabbits what do you expect?...sorry but for goodness sake they chew their hutches to pieces ..i think you should of done your homework before you got them ;) she sounds bored...

Some houserabbits destroy the house, some don't! I'm lucky that Louie has never chewed anything other than his toys.

I think you seriously need to restrict the area for the present time and see whether spaying will solve the problem! :D

Oh dear :( sounds like you are having a challenge with her..... I think as has been said some nic panels would be good ( there was some for sale on here a few days ago, not sure if they've gone) or puppy panels would be a good idea. Hopefully she will calm down after her spay..... If you continue to supply all the toys she has in the pen, you could also try those treat balls for her pellet ration, hopefully she will be occupied whilst you are out.

Lots of boxes and toys etc. plus visit the pet store for CHEW STOPPA.

Probably someone will tell me it's bad for them but they certainly don't go near!

It's so difficult! I like my bunnies to be free range in the house but also like my furniture to survive in a relatively reasonable state, and I don't think that's too much to ask! I've cable tied puppy pen panels together so that they can fold up and I fold them out and put them round the furniture I want to protect rather than keeping the rabbits in with them, then fold them up so they're out of the way if I'm around to stop major chewing. Perhaps you could try that? :D

It's so difficult! I like my bunnies to be free range in the house but also like my furniture to survive in a relatively reasonable state, and I don't think that's too much to ask! I've cable tied puppy pen panels together so that they can fold up and I fold them out and put them round the furniture I want to protect rather than keeping the rabbits in with them, then fold them up so they're out of the way if I'm around to stop major chewing. Perhaps you could try that? :D

I do the same thing with NIC cube things, but, I still resent it cos I'm really house proud and it makes my flat looks like a weird prison.
PM has been better at chewing since the sugarplum fairy visited., i still think he's suspicious though so always keep a beady eye on him as he is a total pickle.

Back