• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing a new rabbit

plom3

Young Bun
Hello everyone! It's been quite a long time since I was last on here, but last time everyone was so helpful when my mini lop buck Pebbles was poorly I thought I would come back for some advice!

Pebbles is a house rabbit who is now 2. He lives in an extra large dog crate and has the run of the rooms when we are in (until he starts chewing and then he has a time out in the crate!) Pebbles is also neutered. We have been thinking for some time about getting him a friend, so I had a look online tonight. Somebody near where I live who breeds and shows rabbits has a one and a half year old doe black mini lop who is gorgeous. She is selling her because she is too small really to produce big enough litters, she said she has had one litter but she is quite small so this is why she is selling her. She has obviously not been spayed yet but this will be one of the first things we get done. I will be putting her in pebbles old cage to begin with and slowly introduce them by making them have dates.

I was wondering if you think it will be a problem introducing them before she is spayed, and also what implications her already having had a litter may be. The plan is to go and pick her up tomorrow after work, but I was just after a bit of advice before collecting her. He name is Kiki which I also thought was adorable!

Thank you!

I am NOT an experienced bonder but if it was me I would give Kiki a few days to settle in her new home, get her spayed, let her hormones settle (which can take a few weeks) and get to know her yourself before bonding her with Pebbles. Very best of luck. She sounds lovely. Small, black and lop eared awww.

Hello again! So we got kiki yesterday evening, she's lovely but seems to have a bunch of health problems. First of all one of her eyes is a bit gungey and bald around the outside, the lady we got her from said she gets sneezy with dust and gave me some eyedrops which I have used today. She has been quite sniffly and makes these little grunt noises/sneezes. She also is weeing a lot which is very smelly and she keeps sitting it so I keep cleaning her up. Her back legs are balding which I believe is urine burn from looking online. She is quite skinny as well which is worrying but she is very small anyway. Her claws are long and overgrown and the poor thing needs sorting. She is eating and drinking fine, more than what pebbles does, she constantly seems to be drinking. Her lady parts also look swollen but I'm not sure if its meant to look like that . She hasn't has jabs and hasn't been spayed, she had a litter about a year ago and the previous owner said she was too small to handle it and lost a lot of weight . When i came downstairs this morning she was sat in a soggy pile of poo and was when i got in from work this afternoon, although i dont think it is diarrhoea but think it might be where she is weeing on her dry poo pellets. As I am typing this she is drinking from her water bottle and has been for ages, stopping very now and again to flick her legs back around her cage. I have a vets appointment tomorrow but am worried about, she seems to have so many problems bless her . What do you guys think?

Hello again! So we got kiki yesterday evening, she's lovely but seems to have a bunch of health problems. First of all one of her eyes is a bit gungey and bald around the outside, the lady we got her from said she gets sneezy with dust and gave me some eyedrops which I have used today. She has been quite sniffly and makes these little grunt noises/sneezes. She also is weeing a lot which is very smelly and she keeps sitting it so I keep cleaning her up. Her back legs are balding which I believe is urine burn from looking online. She is quite skinny as well which is worrying but she is very small anyway. Her claws are long and overgrown and the poor thing needs sorting. She is eating and drinking fine, more than what pebbles does, she constantly seems to be drinking. Her lady parts also look swollen but I'm not sure if its meant to look like that . She hasn't has jabs and hasn't been spayed, she had a litter about a year ago and the previous owner said she was too small to handle it and lost a lot of weight . When i came downstairs this morning she was sat in a soggy pile of poo and was when i got in from work this afternoon, although i dont think it is diarrhoea but think it might be where she is weeing on her dry poo pellets. As I am typing this she is drinking from her water bottle and has been for ages, stopping very now and again to flick her legs back around her cage. I have a vets appointment tomorrow but am worried about, she seems to have so many problems bless her . What do you guys think?

I think she sounds very poorly indeed :( it sounds like snuffles BUT with eye problems and swollen genitals in an unvaccinated bun myxi springs to mind too :( if you could bring the vet appointment forward to maybe an emergency one tonight then I think you should. If not be very careful not to have her close to your bun and wash hands / change clothes between touching her and him, you need to minimise any risk to him too.

Good luck x

Hello :wave:

Poor little girl :( She doesn't sound well at all. It sounds like it may be snuffles BUT I'd consider the possibility of Myximatosis with swollen genitals and irritated eyes. I'd definitely keep her well away from your remaining bun and change your clothes inamongst visits/wash your hands thoroughly etc. Is there any chance you could bring her vet appt forward? Is she messy around her bottom? Is a very gentle bum-bath a possibilty? Also if you could put some cream on her legs (Sudocrem is a possibility, providing she wouldn't lick too much off) just to ease her discomfort? For now I'd just try and make her as comfortable as possible and get a sooner vet appt ideally. Can you clip her claws, even if it's only just a little bit? Also provide her with lots and lots of hay, dust free if poss so you don't irritate her eyes, try and keep her cage as clean as possible, maybe provide a bowl for easiness instead of a water bottle? Don't give her anything like veg, or treats, or anything other than pellets, hay and water because it also sounds like she's got a bit of an upset tummy. I'd also definitely keep an eye to check she is still eating throughout the night and if she stops then she needs to go to the vets ASAP.

Good luck. Would love to see photos of the little girl some time.

Last edited:
Sounds as though she has been severely neglected :cry:

Please make sure she is quarantined well away from your other Rabbit

Her problems may include:

Bacterial infection (Pasteurella)
Dental Disease
Encephalitozoon Cuniculi
Liver/Kidney problems
Gut dysbiosis
Uterine adenocarcinoma
Treponematosis (Rabbit Syphilis)
Myomatosis
She may also be pregnant

:cry:

I really hope that the Vet can help her

Sounds as though she has been severely neglected :cry:

Please make sure she is quarantined well away from your other Rabbit

Her problems may include:

Bacterial infection (Pasteurella)
Dental Disease
Encephalitozoon Cuniculi
Liver/Kidney problems
Gut dysbiosis
Uterine adenocarcinoma
Treponematosis (Rabbit Syphilis)
Myomatosis
She may also be pregnant

:cry:

I really hope that the Vet can help her

What jane said.
Vet's tomorrow, and hoe she will be ok xxxx

Hello everyone, thank you for all your advice and concern! Looks like she's going to be ok! She is underweight and has ear mites and an internal parasite. She has been given an injection to get rid of the ear mites, antibiotic eye drops and a de worming paste for nine days. She has become temporarily incontinent because of the parasite so I have got dog pads for her cage instead of wood shavings which will keep her cleaner and stop sticking to her and irritating her eyes. On the plus side her teeth and guts are fine and she is eating and drinking lots so just need to keep up the mess and fatten her up and see how she is in nine days! :) my boyfriend called the previous owner to explain etc and to see about getting the vet bill paid, she said we could give her back and get our money back we paid for her or pick another rabbit? Madness, not in a million years! So we've left it there and will hopefully have her bouncing around and making friends with pebbles in no time!

Glad she's going to be ok, but what a horrible breeder! Can you imagine what might have happened if you'd taken her back!! Poor little Kiki.

So you can only presume that shes not the only rabbit in that condition with that breeder. As if you would take her back there:shock:

Its lovely that youve taken her on and are prepared to give her the love and attention she deserves. Makes me realise how lucky I was when we 'aquired' Stanley last week.

Stanley drank 400ml+ of water per day from last Wednesday when we rescued him to Monday, hes now drinking about 150ml. the vet said he was just sorting out being so dehydrated which may be the same with your bunny.

Good luck with her, let us know her progress

Thanks everyone. Yeah she seems to be doing better tonight. She went through her first doggy pad very quickly so I changed it and gave her a little wash in the sink just with warm water and got her all dry, we used the hair dryer for a bit which got her nice and dry which she seemed to enjoy. Had a nice cuddle, she was all snuggled in was pushing her head up for more strokes and then started licking me so she seems content! She's been back in the cage for over an hour now and has only weed once, she also hasn't been drinking so much but has still been sneezing quite a bit. She has Vaseline around her eyes and on her legs which the vet said to do so fingers crossed!

Back