• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Isle of Mull trip. *Very pic heavy*

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
Hello all. As some of you know, I'm wildlife mad. I got back from a wildlife holiday in Mull yesterday and I have a few snaps to share with you...well more than a few! :lol:

I will post up the birds first and then the other animals on the second page. :) I hope you all like otters and red deer! :lol:

Hooded Crows are one of my favourite birds :love: They are just brilliant.

The reason this place is called "Eagle Island". This stunner was perched in a tree some distance away (hence why it is quite grainy) but very visible from the road. This is an adult White Tailed Eagle, as you can see from just how pale the head is.

This one is a male bird, he flew over us from his nest site to a boat that gives him a fish. Apparently he's the only eagle to do this on Mull and has been following the same boat for years back when the captain was a fisherman. The Eagle used to follow him and take the fish guts that he threw over board! I find it quite nice that they have this relationship still! When I go back, I hope to go on the boat and see this magnificent bird taking the fish from the water. It must be amazing to watch, what with them having an over 8ft wingspan!!
I saw many Golden Eagles too but since they fly so high in the mountains, it was impossible to photograph them. I must admit I don't know which I prefer..the Goldies or the White Tails!

This is probably my best shot of the holiday. I know it's only a Grey Heron but it is very sharp and clear. The only pic that is since the weather was so bad! :roll:

Lapwing showing his/her colours beautifully!

This is a Snipe, I love these quirky little birds! They look so funny. :lol:

My little friend. She kept following me about and cheeping at me. I nearly stood on her when she decided it was a good idea to go to sleep on the path to the cabin! :roll: She was only a baby and I just hope she gains some more sense otherwise she won't last long!

Last edited:
Right, now for the others. I hope you are all prepared to squee...there's some very cute otter pics heading your way!! :love:

There were bunnies everywhere! They were so bold and just weren't bothered by me or even my dog! This guy was sat, falling asleep in the middle of a farm yard with chickens walking about and a dog barking in the background.
All the buns looked so healthy and happy. Rabbits were nearly completely wiped out the first year I went to Mull (2010) because of myxi; it was a total disaster. The ecosystem nearly collapsed because the birds of prey were forced to take sea birds and seriously affecting their numbers. Fortunately the population of rabbits has clearly very much recovered! :thumb:

Not cute or fluffy, but how amazing is this critter!? It's a Tiger Beetle and I was watching it for a good 10 mins running about and catching little flies and munching them.

Lots of Red Deer! These beasts are the size of cattle and very impressive even when they are in velvet. They had all moved down from the mountains but were still living in heard of either hinds or stags. The rut is still a while away so the stags were tolerating each other, but only just.

Now for my otter piccies! I love otters and I never ever get sick of photographing or watching them. They are just such gorgeous animals, full of personality and are so playful. :love: Now, the weather was not great and a big black cloud came over, this means the pics are not brilliant. It doesn't help that otters are the same colour as the blooming seaweed, but there we go!
I was following this guy along the shoreline until I found a nice rock I could hide behind with my camera. Luck was on my side and he decided to haul out right next to me!

:love: :love:

He had a whale of a time playing and cleaning himself in the seaweed. I was giggling whilst taking the pics just because he looked so happy and carefree! :love:

Absolutely fantastic photos and so interesting to see the different birds and animals. I love Otter's as well and thought the photo's were just amazing. :love::love::love:

Last edited:
OMG you amazing otter spotter!
Am very jealous :D
All your pics are fantastic, what a wonderful place to visit.

Last edited:
Beautiful photos, looks like a lovely trip. Where abouts on Mill were you? I love it there.

We were staying at a place near Carsaig. It's a little road off Pennyghael; the place is miles away from anything :lol:.
We saw a dolphin in the bay outside our window and some porpoise. We had an otter hunting in the bay too, as well as common seals, gannets, cormorants, black guillemots and lots of gulls. In the garden we had chaffinches, coal ****, yellowhammers, great ****, blue ****, swallows (nesting in the roof), a spotted flycatcher, willow warblers, siskins and a great spotted woodpecker pair that visited the nut feeder several times a day. We also had a family of bunnies living in the garden and they would come to the front of the house and hop about in the garden, like I said, they were not bothered by us at all! Not to mention that a short drive up the road and you would see lots of red deer and we saw two golden eagles flying about high up off the track to the house! :thumb:

When the weather was nice, I was just sitting in the garden with my camera. I got absolutely eaten alive by midges and mosquitos! The repellent didn't seem to bother them. :lol:

Wow! Stunning photos. A friend of mine is about to move to Mull to start up a B&B and be walking/climbing guide. By the looks of the wildlife, he's going to have a great time.

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful photos and such wonderful animals, birds, insects etc.:love:
One day I'll go to the Isle of Mull. :thumb::thumb:

Wow! Stunning photos. A friend of mine is about to move to Mull to start up a B&B and be walking/climbing guide. By the looks of the wildlife, he's going to have a great time.

Very jealous! I would love to move to Mull...only I can't see there being very many rabbit savvy vets there! :lol:

These pictures are absolutely stunning! I love them all. You are such an amazing photographer. Thank you so much for sharing! Maybe I'll use some of those pics as an inspiration for some of my crochet projects. :)

I'd love to visit Mull sometime.

Back