• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

last nights emergency made me think

lucy24

Mama Doe
money is so ridiculously tight and currently i have no insurance for the trio. last night i borrowed money from mum but she said she cant in the future as we're really struggling. its actually got quite bad. ive been out of work due to ill health and am trying to find some thing part time but im getting nowhere despite working really hard at it!

anyway, if some thing happens again i doubt i will be able to do anything as im completely broke! i have my other pair sorted with insurance so they will always be catered for but i cant afford the trios insurance this year. and i have no money to put away in savings.

im doubting my ability to give them the proper care moneywise. they are vaccinated, spayed and have good housing and plenty of food but its the vets bills i know i will struggle with. i dont want to have to be put in a situation where i have no choice but to put one to sleep due to lack of funds for care.

i honestly dont know what to do- i was going to rehome them a few months back but ive stuck with it as i love them so much but lasts nights emergency vet trip really hit hard.

what would you do? im stuck...

not sure if you could sort out a credit card for emergencies if you're not working? If you did, could you afford to pay it off if you had to use it? If you could afford to pay it off, could your Mum maybe take one out for you? An interest free one would be best obviously. If you could take out a credit card for emergencies, you could consider cancelling your existing insurance and saving that money each month instead for vet bills?

Or do you own anything you could sell and then put the money in a savings account?

For part time work have you considered being a chaperone in a taxi/bus for children at a special needs school? My son goes to a SN school and they are always after chaperones, you could either contact the school or taxi companies. It's not great money, but it would help you save or afford insurance.

I can see why you're worried, but I think it would be better to keep your buns than rehome then 'just in case'.

not sure if you could sort out a credit card for emergencies if you're not working? If you did, could you afford to pay it off if you had to use it? If you could afford to pay it off, could your Mum maybe take one out for you? An interest free one would be best obviously. If you could take out a credit card for emergencies, you could consider cancelling your existing insurance and saving that money each month instead for vet bills?

Or do you own anything you could sell and then put the money in a savings account?

For part time work have you considered being a chaperone in a taxi/bus for children at a special needs school? My son goes to a SN school and they are always after chaperones, you could either contact the school or taxi companies. It's not great money, but it would help you save or afford insurance.

I can see why you're worried, but I think it would be better to keep your buns than rehome then 'just in case'.

there are great ideas here thank you :) will look into them- im also revaluating my budget to see if i can squeeze in some insurance.

I have an empty credit card for unexpected vet bills and also a "pre-pay" card that I put a bit of money on each month so I have it there for vaccinations and any new bunny neutering etc. Not working is really hard, I hope you can find a solution :wave:

While credit cards and debt may be a short term solution, they can be really difficult to repay if on a low income in the long run. Without employment, options open to you may have hideously high apr etc

Do you live near a pdsa? May be worth a google. I thought the Pre pay card was good or saving might be an option too? Either that or cab to look into welfare options in an emergency?

I know how difficult emergency vets bills can be. It is always a month when we are a little short too but never an option not to pay. :(

Hope you find a solution :)

Have a clear out at home and do a car boot sale - sell stuff on Ebay or Preloved or Gumtree - even weighing in clothes collected from family, friends and neighbours - have a cake sale and coffee morning at home - there's always a way to make money - I've been doing it for years! You just have to put your mind to it and be determined! Good luck!

Back