• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits on Guinea pig food

Delta

Warren Scout
My very smart rabbit had managed to pull the open bag of Guinea pig food off of the shelf by climbing on the sofa. I wasn't in the room so don't know how much she's eaten but how dangerous is it for buns to eat piggy food??
I'm guessing as rabbits survived for years with people feeding them it, it won't do her any harm this once?

I'm sure she will be fine. The difference between rabbit and guinea pig food is added vitamin C. Rabbits don't need it but unless fed in excessive amounts a little extra vitamin C should just pass straight through. Keep an eye on her to ensure she's eating and pooing and if either stop take her to the vet. She may get a slightly dodgy tummy for a day or 2 due to scoffing more high calorie food than she should and also of a different type than her tum is useful but she should be fine.

No, won't do any harm. Islay, Jura and Arran scoffed their way though a 2kg bag once, they were just FAT for a few days! :lol:

back in the day, before it became common knowledge that rabbits and piggies together is a big no no, we'd put my piggie's food in a separate bowl from our bunny's (May). They always used to eat each other's regardless, and they were all perfectly fine for years :)

Back