• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where there is hay, he will pee.. *sigh*

BettyLu

Alpha Buck
Patrick recently decided that his litter tray was not that interesting anymore, and started to pee and poop in the other corner of his base along with doing so in his litter tray. I put another tray in, so now he has one in each corner.

So he has a big, shallow storage box and in each corner is a litter tray and in front and filling the rest of the space is lovely, fresh, munchable hay.

This should be fine. Apart from fact he seems to pee anywhere there is hay now, not just in his litter boxes.

I have to keep the hay in a box of some variety a) to keep track of what hes eating and b) so it doesn't end up absolutely covering the living room carpet.

Has anyone got any ideas as to how I can encourage him to only use the litter trays?
He never used to do this :(

I use hay in the litter boxes by the way as he doesn't get on with various litter that I've tried in the past.

Bunnies tend to wee when they eat. Personally, I only put hay in Bunsks litter box, so he only pees there

Bunnies tend to wee when they eat. Personally, I only put hay in Bunsks litter box, so he only pees there

Well, yeh, that's what I do, assume he doesn't mind eating his own wee. He never used to pee literally anywhere there was hay though. Oh well

Nom nom , hay dressed with pee seems to be appetizing! Well, to my two anyway!!!

yes I dont bother with hay racks as the pull the hay down into a pile and poo and wee there creating more mess where as if I only put hay in their litter they will only poo and wee there unless they are going through a spat of feeling the urge to mark everything

Mine do the same. I only put hay in litter boxes now. I hay up 2-3 times a day so there's plenty of fresh available:D

Silly me - I thought litter trays were for peeing in. No -that would make it too easy me to clean :lol::lol: Apparently litter trays are for nomming hay from, while sitting outside the litter tray, weeing and pooping on the floor. :roll::roll::roll:

Silly me - I thought litter trays were for peeing in. No -that would make it too easy me to clean :lol::lol: Apparently litter trays are for nomming hay from, while sitting outside the litter tray, weeing and pooping on the floor. :roll::roll::roll:

Mine used to do it that way until I put a the top portion of what used to be their home - before I knew better - beside it so that they had to go fully into the tray to eat. Now hey are so used to it that one of mine even went from eating out of the bowl I had on my lap, peed in the tray, then came back to nom some more.

this is why I use hooded litter trays :lol: hay gets kept in the box so they only pee in there :thumb: poos on the other hand :roll:

I have quite a deep storage box and a hay box that their hay goes in. They pull the hay out but it only goes into their litter tray. They tend to only pee in the back corners so where their fresh hay is, stays clean. I guess my bunnies are just more hygienic than others? :lol:

If they have hay anywhere else they will just see it as their litter tray and poo and pee wherever it is. One reason I won't put hay in cardboard boxes anymore!

Back