• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would bunny sitting upset my buns???

moi

Mama Doe
Ive been asked if I could look after someones bunny for a week while they are on holiday. It has a indoor cage (grrrrrr) and I was wondering if it would upset my buns, or if I should say I cant do it x

I'm really not sure whether your outside bunnies would pick up the scent and, perhaps, become aggressive with each other if they were upset.
Perhaps someone with more experience will see your thread.

it doesn't upset my buns but the ones I look after stay at their own home. I have 2 of my own and look after 4, non seem bothered that I smell of other rabbits (or cats and dog) :) I go from the bunny sitting buns to my own without washing my hands/changing my clothes so I must smell like the other rabbits

I board and bond other bunnies (on a very small scale) and it has never upset my own buns. I never keep them in the same room. I wash my hands but don't change clothes at feeding/meds time.

I have five cats and a guinea-pig too and my client has two huge dogs I always snuggle with. Friends have animals I fuss so I probably always smell of other animals and mine are used to it.

I'd wash your hands and change your clothes between each set of bunnies. If they would be going out in the same room, pick up poops, and swap out litter pans. It may be troublesome, but some bunnies (mine included) can get very aggressive or scared when they smell a strange bunny. When we first brought Joshua home, Toshi would fly into a rage, attack us, and let out some bunny odors :? He will still do this if I don't change my clothes after coming home from the shelter...

I look after Blossoms and Brambles brother sometimes and the cage being there and me smelling of Rodney doesnt bother them but if they see him then Bramble turns on Blossom - reffered aggression - . It works fine though as I have a timetable of who plays where and when! I just need to be organised.
I always think its sad that they dont remember each other.

When I just had my single boy I often looked after bunnies for friends - I naively thought they all just got along fine as he & the French lop & looked after just hit it off - I've since learned they bonded very easily & it was just one of those things!!
the next little girl I looked after, although being a perfect housebunny at home turned into a proper little madam! she was territorially peeing everywhere (drinking gallons of water to do this!) we had to move her to the kitchen just to make it easier to clean as I feared she would eventually ruin the carpets despite us taking precautions...

mine was never upset by the extra company :)

Back