• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I worrying too much?

midori1999

Alpha Buck
Two of my bunnies have a kennel and run, to which I plan to attach a runaround tunnel and another run on the grass in the next few weeks when funds allow. In the meantime, they have a large, unroofed pen made with puppy panels so they can have extra room while I sit in the garden and supervise them.

I'm home all day today and am wondering if I'm being a little over cautious by not letting them have access to the pen on days like today. I will be in and out of the garden all day, but I have a (human!) toddler so can't sit out there all day. I've never seen a cat in the garden, presumably as we have dogs, as they can obviously get in. I also haven't ever seen a fox here, but they must be about at night at least as we are on the edge of a city and near a large park/wood. I have always lived rurally before and had hens that free ranged during the day with no trouble from foxes, although they were about at night.

How much do I need to worry about foxes and cats? Are cats much of a risk at all? Our garden has a 6ft fence but a fox could obviously be over or under that and grab a bunny in seconds and it doesn't bear thinking about. Am I sensible to worry? Do people just let their bunnies free range in the day without constant supervision?

incredibly sensible, I wouldn't let them out. A cat bite has a hell of a lot of germs in it and can quickly cause an infection, some cats are more of a hunter than others and would try and take your buns sadly. As well as cats and foxes there are birds of prey to think about, a couple of weeks ago I spotted a Red Kite over my back garden and I live in a built up area :wave:

Yes very sensible - one of my buns was injured (and was later PTS) by my neighbour's cat when he attacked her through the mesh of an 8x4 run. We saw it happen and it was awful. Definitely not worth the risk x

Back