• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded pair acting strange

Hey guys! I'm new here. I have two rabbits age two and three. My three-year-old is a male Netherland dwarf and my two-year is a female lionhead. They are spayed and neutered and have been bonded most of the female's life. I volunteer with a local shelter and they recently seized a lot of rabbits from an undesirable situation. I've been volunteering with them, but I think my rabbits picked up the smell and are acting very strange. They've started chin marking and are fighting with each other. They've always been happily bonded before this and I'm not sure what I should do. All the clothes from the shelter have been washed and I'm vacuuming to get any dander up. Should I separate them, or is there anything else I can do? I don't want them to hurt each other.

It sounds like they've become territorial towards each other. If they have been separated for any time that could be the reason. Might be worth trying to re-bond them for their safety, but I am not very experienced at bonding rabbits as mine are being difficult at the moment!

Good luck with it anyway :) I hope they calm down with each other.

Thank you. I think it's definitely territorial or dominance, but only because they smell a strange rabbit. I read somewhere that you can dab them with vanilla to cover the smell. I'm not sure if that's safe though. Does anyone have thoughts on that?

Back